Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

THE HA' HOOSE, RAEMOIR HOTEL ANNEX, NEAR BANCHORYLB3247

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
18/08/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Banchory-Ternan
NGR
NO 69506 99526
Coordinates
369506, 799526

Description

Dated 1715. 2-storey, 5, bay, T-plan Laird's House (now hotel annex) with projecting end bays, on rural Aberdeenshire estate. Hill of Fare red granite rubble. Studded timber door and oval fanlight with decorative glazing. Armorial panel and larger oval light with decorative glazing above door. Chamfered openings to principal elevation. Some narrow leaded lights to rear.

Predominantly replacement 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate, pitched roof. Piended roof to projecting end bays. Rubble end stacks with chamfered copes.

The interior was seen in 2013 and is predominantly of an early 20th century date. It has a central hall with flagstone floor and timber staircase. Panelled timber doors.

Statement of Special Interest

The Ha Hoose is an important and fine example of an early classical country house in rural Aberdeenshire. The property is largely unaltered to the exterior, retaining its classical proportions. Its survival is remarkable as a substantial nineteenth century house (see separate listing) was built immediately in front of it. Unusually the Ha' Hoose was not incorporated into the later house or demolished to make way for it.

The survival of the Ha Hoose is important in our understanding of the development of the estate. The house was constructed circa 1715, which was a significant period for country house design. As Glendinning et al explain in A History of Scottish Architecture: "The classical country house architecture which dominated from 1660 to 1760 answered the practical and symbolic requirements of the 'improving' landed classes in its potent mixture of antique stateliness and modernity." Classicism was a comprehensive system of values determining plan form, proportion and design rather than applied details to traditional Scottish architectural forms.

As evidenced by the armorial stone over the entrance, the house was constructed circa 1715 for the Hogg Family. The Hogg family may have succeeded to the estate of Raemoir when James Hogg (1661-1706) married Margaret Skene, the daughter of Robert Skene of Raemoir (Henderson, p.23). The Land Tax record of 1745 records that Robert Hogg was the proprietor of the estate with it being valued at £299. The Ha Hoose is evident on Roy's Military Map (1747-55) which depicts a building set in front of a wooded landscape.

Between the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century the estate passed to William Innes, a merchant from London. He set about improving the estate most notably constructing a new house in 1817 (see separate listing) which is immediately to the south of the Ha Hoose. As the Ha Hoose became superfluous as a residence from this date, it was used as a game larder and wood store.

The former list description states that the Ha' House was restored in 1923, however it is likely that the restoration dates to around 1927, when the present Raemoir House was altered. There are no early fixtures and fittings evident in the interior of the property and the interior plan form is likely to have been remodelled as part of this restoration or when the building was converted for use as an annexe to the hotel in 1943.

The spelling of Raemoir varies between maps and other historical records. The estate is also recorded as Raemore and Ramoir as well as other variations. It is not known when the building was first called the Ha' Hoose, which is a Scottish term for describing the principal house on an estate, often with a cellar and living apartments or a hall above.

Listed building record updated 2014.

References

Bibliography

National Archives of Scotland. (1745) Land tax rolls for Kincardineshire, Banchory-Devenick. Vol 02. E106/18/2/5.

Roy W. (1747-55) Roy's Military Survey of Scotland.

Garden, W. (1797) A Map of Kincardineshire. London: A Arrowsmith.

Henderson, J. A. (1892) Annals Of Lower Deeside. Aberdeen : D. Wyllie & Son. p.23

Geddes, J. (2001) Deeside and the Mearns: an Illustrated Architectural Guide. Edinburgh: The Rutland Press. p. 90.

Further information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit (2013).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to THE HA' HOOSE, RAEMOIR HOTEL ANNEX, NEAR BANCHORY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 03:29