Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

400, 404, 408 VICTORIA ROAD, 124, ALLISON STREETLB32464

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/12/1989
Supplementary Information Updated
26/01/2024
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58242 62687
Coordinates
258242, 662687

Description

Four-storey "Thomsonesque" corner tenement dating from the mid 1860s, with later (1903) art nouveau "Victoria Bar" at ground (carved timber, acid-etched windows), polished (stone-cleaned) ashlar above, pilastered window jambs/mullions at first floor, moulding at second floor stepped over windows. Most of the original plate glass sashes have been replaced with uPVC windows (2023); stacks rebuilt, modern tile roof. Bar interior has been modernised

Statement of Special Interest

The tenement forms part of a larger block that was originally known as Eglinton Terrace and occupies the west side of Victoria Road, from Allison Street to Prince Edward Street. The 2-acre site was feud to a William Menzies in 1863, (Title deed for 3/1 404 Victoria Road, 2023) and by 1864 it was being advertised as having 'superior houses of three and four rooms and kitchens' to let (Glasgow Herald, 11 April 1864), with shops advertised by 1865 (Glasgow Herald, 6 February 1865). First listed in the Glasgow Street Directory of 1866, the block was known as Eglinton Terrace until 1877-78 when it was renumbered as part of Victoria Road, and there was further renumbering in 1890-91 (Glasgow Street Directories 1869-1893).

The ground floor of what is now 400, 402 Victoria Road (originally no.1 Eglinton Terrace, then nos. 8, 10) was shown as a public house on the Ordnance Survey map of 1892 and appears to have been used as a public house since its construction (Renfrewshire Independent, 15 October 1864; Glasgow Street Directories 1869-1893).

The corresponding corner block to the south at 452-462 Victoria Road and Prince Edward Street is also listed (category C, ref: LB32465) and forms part of the block formerly known as Eglinton Terrace.

The block of tenements in this area is known to have links to Scotland's first Association football club. During a meeting that was recorded as having took place at 3 Eglinton Terrace on 9 July 1867, Queen's Park Football Club was formed – the first amateur football club to be formed outside of England. The team was also responsible for organising the very first international football match between Scotland and England on St Andrew's day in 1872.

Supplementary information added to the listed building record in 2024.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey (revised 1892-93, published 1895) Lanarkshire X.2. 25 inches to the mile. 2nd and later editions. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Glasgow Herald, 11 April 1864, p. 5.

Glasgow Herald, 6 February 1865, p. 2.

Glasgow Live article (09 July 2021), Queen's Park history at https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/history/queens-park-history-scotlands-first-21014821 [accessed 09/06/2022]

Hampden Collection, The Hunt for 3 Eglinton Terrace https://hampdencollection.com/3-eglinton-terrace/ [accessed 15/12/2023]

Queen's Park Football Club, An Early History at http://www.qphistory.com/p/in-beginning.html

[accessed 09/06/2022]

Queen's Park Football Club, History at https://queensparkfc.co.uk/history/

[accessed 09/06/2022]

Renfrewshire Independent, 15 October 1864, p.5.

Scottish sporting history, historic meeting place for Scottish football at https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sports-history-news-and-blog/a-historic-meeting-place-for-scottish-football

[accessed 09/06/2022]

Scottish Sporting History, Eglinton Terrace in Street Directories 1864-1893 https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/uploads/3/3/6/0/3360867/eglinton_terrace_in_street_directories_1864-1893.pdf [accessed 20/12/2023]

Title Deed for 3/1 404 Victoria Road, 31/07/2023, Ref: GLA158170

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 400, 404, 408 VICTORIA ROAD, 124, ALLISON STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 14:11