William Leiper 1875-8, soaring stone spire completed 1883.
Originally Camphill United Presbyterian church; built on
corner site, and added to N of 1873 hall whose architect
is not known. Normandy gothic, with good sculptured detail
executed mostly by MacCulloch and Co of London. Snecked
ashlar, polished dressings, slate roofs.
Tower at corner, buttressed massive lower stages, tall
off-set and open belfry stage, octagonal stone spire;
main gabled front to Balvicar Drive with buttresses,
recessed door in gabled porch with nook-shafts, pair tall
traceried windows over and winged figure (by Mossman) all
set in big shallow arch; plainer doorway either side, that
to right in tower, twin-gabled shallow wide transept to
Balvicar Street. Galleried interior, stone columns with
decorative capitals; extensive original stencilling scheme
by Leiper survives on roof but walls now whitewashed; also
a 3-light leaded window.
INTERIOR: high timber-vaulted roof with stencilled
decoration surviving intact; pointed aisle arcades, stone
columns with foliated capitals; pulpit also big and
decorative, with canopy, organ set on gallery.
HALL: Gable to Balvicar Drive, S flank to Queen's Park.