There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 57167 66695
- Coordinates: 257167, 666695
James Sellars of Campbell Douglas & Sellars, 1876-78; alterations by Keppie, Henderson & Partners, 1961-63; converted to Gilmorehill Centre by SBT Keppie 1996-7. Normandy Gothic former church. Stugged coursed ashlar, polished ashlar dressings.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Nave; low 5-bay aisles. To W 5 tall gabled 3-light plate-tracery windows over aisles; small lancets in aisles. To E 4-clerestory windows divided by flying buttresses, lower walling also heavily buttressed. To S single storey halls at right angles to main body of church. Pointed arch doorpiece in re-entrant angle. Truncated tower rises only to 2 stages and was never completed. Pointed arch entrance with nook shafts. 2 leaded glass windows at base of tower.
Grey slate roofs.
INTERIOR (seen 1988): much altered, few original fittings survive. 5-arch arcade supported on piers separates nave from aisles. Open timber roof to subsidiary halls. False suspended ceiling to main hall.
Statement of Special Interest
Designed by James Sellars, architect of the main building of the 1888 Glasgow International Exhibition (a temporary structure in the nearby Kelvingrove Park). The building occupies a prominent corner site.
Originally built as Anderston Free Church. The Dean of Guild plans of 1877 show a proposed tall and slender tower, but it was never completed. Later the building became the Hillhead United Free Church, then it was used as examination halls by the University of Glasgow before being converted to its current use in 1996-97 for the Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies. The insertion of 7 levels within the stone shell allowed for the creation of a 150-seat cinema, theatre and rehearsal space, television studios, sound recording booths, research facilities, teaching areas and offices.
Formerly listed as '9 University Avenue, Gilmorehill Hall'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, 1894; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, Ref. H/83; British Architect (13/06/1879); Royal Scottish Academy Exhibition Catalogue, (1879) p. 945; Builder, (06/01/1961) pp.37-38; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 188; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 334; Prospect No. 64, (October 1997)'pp. 35-7; J Rodger, Contemporary Glasgow - the architecture of the 1990s, (1999) p. 90; Gordon R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road - An Illustrated History of Glasgow's West End, (2000), p. 89; Gordon R Urquhart, Friends of Glasgow West - Hillhead Heritage Trail, (2008) Building No. 19; 'Anderston Free Church' building search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 31-03-2010).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.