Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 57441 66342
257441, 666342


Charles Wilson, architect; designed 1855-6; Nos 1-16 built 1857-9; Nos 18-22 built 1861-3 (No 22 by J Boucher 1872); Nos 23-29 built 1872-3. Symmetrically arranged circus of astylar Italianate terraces around oval garden, intersected by Park Gate (E), Park Street South, and Park Circus Place (W). 3-bays per house; 3-storeys and basement. Shallow advanced central (9-bay) and terminal (3-bay) pavilions. Polished ashlar, partly stonecleaned, rusticated at ground with vermiculated margins and smooth keystones. Continuous band/string courses between floors; Vitruvian scroll band at 1st floor (much repaired at Nos 23-29) paterae at eaves course. Modillion cornice, blocking course. Steps oversailing basements to tripartite doorpieces with glazed sidelights. All ground floor openings shouldered. Upper windows all architraved with mutule cornice at 1st floor.

Plate glass or 4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Axial stacks, slate roofs. Good cast-iron railings to basement and steps.

INTERIORS: much fine interior work survives including Corinthian screens to main rooms; cornicing and ceiling rose work; fine timber panelling and fire places; Ionic arched screens to halls; elaborate cast-iron balusters to stairs; carved timber newel posts. No 18 with fine panelled drawing room and decorative hall by William Leiper, 1891. Particularly exceptional interior at No 22 by James Boucher: Art Nouveau front door; hall with groin vaulted mosaic cupolas supported on marble Corinthian columns. Early Renaissance-style stair rising in tunnel vaults. Many elaborate art nouveau fireplaces of wood and marble, leaded glass cupola over stair. Billiard room by Salmon, Son and Gillespie 1905.

Flanks: No 9 Park Street South; 2-bay elevation with billiard room extension to rear. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground. Canted oriel window to 1st floor with cast-iron balustrade over.

No 23, flank to Park Street South; advanced 3-bay blocks; polished ashlar, channelled at ground. 1st floor window consoled and corniced; corbelled oriel window to Southernmost bay; multi-pane glazing. Paired stack linked by cornice; flanking segmentally pedimented

dormer. Mews and billiard room to rear with balustraded parapet. Similarly detailed mews to 22 Park Circus (No 9 Park Street South).

Associated mews buildings and boundary walls to rear fronting Park Circus Lane and Park Terrace Lane.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Woodlands Hill 'A Group' including Park Terrace, Park Circus Place and Park Quadrant, Lyndoch Street and Lyndoch Crescent (see separate listings).

Outstanding mid 19th century circus of terraced Italianate townhouses constructed on a monumental scale around an oval plan, forming the centre-piece of the Kelvingrove Park and Woodlands area of the city. Much exceptional interior detailing, particularly at Nos 18-22.

The associated former stable mews and boundary walls fronting Park Terrace Lane and Park Circus Lane to the rear of the Park Circus terraces are an integral part of the functional planned design, adding to the wider architectural and historic interest of the group.

Nos 1-16 are shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1856-9.



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1856-9). Plans in NMRS dated 1854-5, not as completed. Gomme and Walker 1968 p.247. Plans and photographs of 22 Park Circus interior: The Studio vol 18, 1900 pp.34-7; Academy Architecture 1898; The Studio Year Book of Decorative Art 1907 p.109. Service (ed) 1975, p242. Elizabeth Williamson, Anne Riches, Malcolm Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p 286, pl 34.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-29 (INCLUSIVE NOS) PARK CIRCUS AND 9 PARK STREET SOUTH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/11/2023 17:37