Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 57667 66229
257667, 666229


Charles Wilson, architect, 1856, college and adjacent church (to Lynedoch street) latter gutted by fire in 1903 and incorporated into college as library in 1909. Refurbished interior by D Thomson and Colin Menzies 1909. 2-storey building with tall Lombardic towers. Polished ashlar, stugged at basement, channelled at ground at door to former church and ground floor pilasters. Continuous bands of Vitruvian scrolls at 1st floor forms base for continuous plinth below upper storey windows. Heavy cornice with dentil moulding and frieze with wreaths; deep plain parapet.

Elevation to Lynedoch Place; 5-bay with advanced channelled centre bay with monumental doorpiece, rising above latter to square campanile. Arched doorpiece with blind fanlight supported on bracketted reveals and surmounted by corbelled balcony with solid and balustraded parapet. All windows round arched with channelled architraves at ground; 1st floor windows in rectangular recess with double pilasters and elaborately carved spandrels. Tower with small corbelled balconies at 2nd floor level (all elevations) to tall arched pilastered window. Rising above are groups of 3 elongated arched openings deeply recessed and moulded. Upper cornice boldly corbelled out to parapet with cast-iron balcony and central bell-house with bracketted cornice.

Elevation to Lynedoch Street; 5 western bays detailed as above. 5-bay advanced pavilion to eastern end (former church). Central 3-bays advanced; paired engaged Corinthian columns at former gallery level support pediment. Ground floor windows round-arched; at centre bay bipartite with columnar mullion. Flanking pediment bays containing arched doorpieces rise to square towers, smaller though similar in detail to main tower. Top corbel table surmounted by stone parapet of open balustrade linking piers at angles, with obelisk pinnacles over.

Main elevations surrounded by cast-iron railings with square ashlar piers. The east pavilion has 2 flights of stone steps rising symmetrically to raised platt with parapet and piers supporting decorative cast-iron lamp brackets (McFarlane & Co). Retaining wall of steps bull-faced with ashlar coping. Rear elevation to Woodside Terrace Lane in 3 irregular main sections; all ashlar polished, droved or rusticated.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.



Plans in NMRS dated September 1856.

Gomme and Walker 1968, pp92-9, 249.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 31, 33, 35 LYNEDOCH STREET AND 92, 96 WOODSIDE TERRACE LANE, FORMER TRINITY COLLEGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 02:38