Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

HIGH STREET, ST ANDREW'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, BURIAL GROUND, LYCH GATE (TO HIGH STREET) AND ENTRANCE TO BANK STREETLB31788

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Fort William
NGR
NN 10361 74005
Coordinates
210361, 774005

Description

Alexander Ross, Inverness, 1880. Gothic, nave, chancel,

transept (used as vestry) to south opposite tower at north;

cruciform plan, orientated east-west.

All bullfaced, sneck coursed red Abriachan granite with

tooled and polished ashlar contrasting sandstone dressings.

Gabled porch projects at NW; shouldered lintel, flanking

polished granite nook shafts with stiff leaf capital,

pointed-headed tympanum with figure of St. Andrew and

spandrels carved with thistles and roses.

Low rectangular baptistry on west gable with 3 squat

pointed-headed windows with geometric tracery; similar window

in N gable; angle buttresses; wallhead encircled by low

carved coped balustrade. Large pointed-headed windows in east

(3-light) and west (4-light) gables, also with geometric

tracery. Smaller pointed-headed traceried windows in 4-bay

flanks. Tall, 3-storey square tower rising to spire at NE

with projecting stair turret in east elevation. Occuli in

each face of lower stage, paired round-headed lancets in 2nd

stage, 3rd stage off-set with gabletted angle pinnacles and

with centre louvred windows under gablets in each face

clasping base of slender, ashlar facetted spire rising to

ball finial and weathervane apex, with carved quatrefoil

detailing to annulets, and ring of diminutive lucarnes. Rear

SE vestry with dated lintel and roll moulding to architraves.

All original rhones and down-water goods; flat skews; simple

curved skewputts; slate roofs.

Interior; richly detailed interior in High Gothic manner, all

of considerable quality.

Baptistry entered through traceried screen; vaulted ceiling

with bosses. Centre white Caen stone font with ornate carved

wooden canopy (Harry Hems). Rich mosaic floor (Salviati);

stained glass windows.

Nave; simple bench pews; good sequence of stained glass with

New Testament theme. Pulpit at NE angle of nave; white Caen

stone supported on arches with polished marble columns and

stiff leaf capitals, linking with similarly detailed stair

balustrade.

Chancel; brass eagle lectern; carved oak choir stalls with

"poppy head" pew ends (Harry Hems).

Sanctuary; brass altar rail; ornate mural sedilia in south

and similarly detailed Bishop's throne and aumbry in north

wall. Arcaded reredos across east wall, with 3 Gothic cusped

arches each side of altar framing low relief and centre

crocketted gablet with mosaic Crucifixion (Salviati)

Doors; all Harry Hems. Entrance door in NW porch; double door

with 6 carved panels on outer face representing Good Shepherd

and similar patterns in chequered design to inner face. SW

door (leading to Baptistry); no exterior carving but paired pointed-headed-doors decorated with complex decorative

wrought-iron hinges of intricate design; inner faces carved

with geometric tracery.

Vestry door (at SE); exterior face with "linen fold"

panelling and wrought-iron hinges in stylised floral pattern. Chancel-vestry door; 3 panel door with carvings illustrating

St Columba.

Burial Ground; church surrounded by walled burial ground.

Bullfaced red granite walling with contrasting tooled

sandstone ashlar cope, interspersed at north (High Street

front) with lengths of ornate cast-iron spearhead railings on

low coped retaining wall.

Lych gate; bracketted timber lych gate entrance; with

flanking bench seats and pair wooden gates; red tiled

jerkin-headed roof with decorative tiled ridge and end

finials.

Bank Street entrance; gabletted arch with pointed-headed

entrance in west wall, surmounted by bellcote-like

decoration.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Built on site of former Rosse Episcopal Chapel, 1817-76.

Present church built largely through generosity of Mr George

Baynton Davey of Spean Bridge. Harry Hems was a gifted late

19th century ecclesiastical woodcarver of Exeter, Devon.

References

Bibliography

Groome's ORDNANCE GAZETTEERS OF SCOTLAND, vi (1885) p.497.

National Monuments Record of Scotland EPISCOPAL CHURCH YEAR

BOOK (1915-16) p.136.

THE STORY OF THE CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, FORT WILLIAM (church

guide, 1980; no author credited).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, ST ANDREW'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, BURIAL GROUND, LYCH GATE (TO HIGH STREET) AND ENTRANCE TO BANK STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2018 14:59