1830-40, Patrick Wilson, Edinburgh, architect. Simple church substantially altered and encased in Italianate style, and
re-fitted internally, by Thomas Mackenzie, Elgin, 1844.
Cruciform plan, orientated N/S. Ashlar frontage, dressings
and belfry; coursed rubble and harled flanks.
Ashlar gable to street with wheel window with flanking blind
panels; outer giant pilasters flanking full width pediment
supported by pilasters. 3-bay arcaded portico across the full
width of gable; 4 stage campanile to right (E) with open
balustraded arcades to 3rd and 4th stages. Shallow piended
roof with corbelled eaves course and weathervane of St John's
cross surmounted by golden cock. Campanile linked to E
transept by 5-bay open arcade similar to portico. Square
windows set high in wall to aisle with simple circle
sectioned tracery; semi-circular apse with triple light
stained glass window. Round-headed paired lights to E and W
gables. Deep eaves; slate roof.
INTERIOR: simple interior with plain walls and flat
coffered ceiling; mosaic floor. Oak seating and pulpit; brass
altar rail and eagle lectern. Circular roof light at
crossing. Latticed cast-iron balustrade to narrow gallery at
S end of church.
Mural paintings in apse, including one depicting the Last
Supper, by William Hole (1907). Further painting by same
artist at font of Christ blessing little children (1911).
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
First Rector of Forres visited Florence during 1830's and
is said to have sketched church there on which to base design
of St John's. Stained glass by Barnett of Newcastle in
apse. 3 windows in memory of Edward Dunbar of Seapark,
Kinloss (d. 1858 aged 3). Sir Alexander Gordon-Cumming (d.
1868) and John Grant of Moy (d. 1867).
Former Item 154 (1983 Revised List)