Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GLENFINNAN RAILWAY STATION, TICKET OFFICE/ WAITING ROOM AND SIGNAL BOXLB312

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/05/1985
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Arisaig And Moidart
NGR
NM 89872 80974
Coordinates
189872, 780974

Description

1900-1. Single storey, symmetrical 3-bay station building, comprising ticket office and waiting room. All harled with contrasting painted margins. Segmental headed recess in north front (facing platform and railway) with flanking canted bay windows. Outer gabled walls (partially glazed) carried forward to support projecting roof which forms continuous verandah fronting building and platform. Secondary entrance in centre of east gable; multi-pane glazing; end stacks; piended slate roof with deep eaves. INTERIOR: operates as Glenfinnan Station Museum.

SIGNAL BOX: (Map Ref: NM 89911, 80956) 1901, 2-storey rectangular-plan, horizontal timber weatherboarded signal box with piended roof. Glazed locking room with timber astragalled windows with curved framing at the head. Decorative brackets to eaves. Timber forestair access to signal cabin with levers and locking frame. Slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Glenfinnan Staion is a particularly fine and well-detailed example of a Ticket Office/Waiting Room and Signal Box group, sensitively restored for use as a railway museum. The projecting roof, verandah and deep eaves of the former waiting room follows the 'swiss-chalet' style of the slightly earlier 1890s stations by James Miller on the line between Glasgow and Fort William. Glenfinnan was opened in April 1901 as part of North British Railway's (NBR) extension to the West Highland line between Fort William and Mallaig. Glenfinnan Station Museum was established in 1991 and tells the story of the West Highland Railway and its development.

The ticket office and signal box at Arisaig (see separate listing) are built to largely the same specifications and together, these stations add considerably to the architectural and historic interest of one of Scotland's most exceptional railway lines.

Signal boxes are a distinctive and increasingly rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. Of more than 2000 signal boxes built across Scotland by 1948, around 150 currently survive (2013) with all pre-1948 mechanical boxes still in operation on the public network due to become obsolete by 2021. The signal box at Glenfinnan was originally built by the Railway Signal Company (RSCo) for NBR's West Highland line extension. The RSCo were the longest-lived firm of mechanical signalling contractors in the UK. Their West Highland design is based on the standard RSCo box but without the lower windows and with ornate timber brackets and deeper eaves to help protect from the rain in this part of Scotland. It was restored in 2010 as part of the Glenfinnan Station Museum and while no longer used, its levers and locking frame remain in situ. Its group value with the principal station building, as well as its broader contribution to the interest of the west highland line, add to its special interest.

List description and statutory address revised as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).

References

Bibliography

The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box - A Pictorial History and Guide To Designs (1986). Peter Kay and Derek Coe, Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland (2010 - 3rd Edition).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENFINNAN RAILWAY STATION, TICKET OFFICE/ WAITING ROOM AND SIGNAL BOX

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 09:39