Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LINT RIGGS, EAST SIDE (ODD NOS) 32-34 HIGH STREET AND NEW MARKET BAR NEWMARKET STREETLB31197

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/10/1972
Supplementary Information Updated
30/07/2018
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Burgh
Falkirk
NGR
NS 88687 79998
Coordinates
288687, 679998

Description

1903-06. Three-storeys, Free Renaissance treatment, ashlar, ground floor shops.

End sections by A and W Black, with shallow two-storey, three-light oriel windows rising from shopfronts cornice. Corner turrets corbelled out at first floor. The northwest corner turret has a cornice with carved panels of a shamrock, thistle and rose and is topped by a ogee-dome and cupola.

Central section (Nos. 5-15) is a Masonic Hall, designed by Thomas Copland. End bays flanked by giant Ionic pilasters, centre bay with fluted Corinthian columns topped by open segmental pediment with a urn finial. Tympanum carved with masonic symbols. Gibbsian surrounds to the windows. Those to the centre and end bays have pediments, the other windows are corniced with cartouches dated 1876 and 1906.

Statement of Special Interest

Planned by David Ronald, Burgh Engineer, in 1903 (perspective by Alexander McGibbon in Burgh Engineer's office). A and W Black following the elevations prescribed in 1903. The Corinthian masonic hall section, by Thomas Copland, at Nos. 5-15 is a departure from the original design. The cartouches above the windows are dated 1876 (for the foundation of the lodge) and 1906 (for the completion of the building). It was built for Lodge Callendar No 588, the second lodge of freemasons to be established in the town.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 221666

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1913, published 1918) Stirlingshire nXXX.3 (Falkirk). 25 inches to one mile. 3rd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Gifford, J. and Walker, F. A. (2002) The Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland. New Haven and London: Yale University Press. pp.480-1.

Jacques, R. (2001) Falkirk and District: an illustrated architectural guide. Edinburgh: The Rutland Press. p13.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Lint Riggs, east side at http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=232416 (accessed 30/07/2018).

Visit Falkirk. Falkirk Town Heritage Trail at http://www.visitfalkirk.com/things-to-do/heritage/falkirk-town-heritage-trail/ (accessed 30/07/2018).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LINT RIGGS, EAST SIDE (ODD NOS) 32-34 HIGH STREET AND NEW MARKET BAR NEWMARKET STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 02:45