The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
THUNDERTON PLACE, THUNDERTON HOUSE, ADJOINING GARAGE WING AND LOW COURTYARD WALL INCORPORATING HERALDIC BEASTS (THUNDERTON HOTEL)LB30908
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- NJ 21483 62796
- 321483, 862796
Early/mid 17th century, probably incorporating earlier
work but remodelled and reduced in size to present
L-plan in 1822. Rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roof.
The 17th century house survives only at the S elevation
with the 4 17th century pedimented dormers carved with
Duffus, Dunbar, Innes and Mackenzie monograms, and the
N gable with grouped rectangular and diagonally set
stacks. More carved dormerheads are built into the
courtyard elevations which are largely of 1822, as in the
Tuscan porch in the re-entrant.
Low 2-storey range with garage and rooms over built on
to N gable of Thunderton House; rubble, slate roof.
Low courtyard wall incorporating pair heraldic beasts
(horses); similar pair now incorporated in walling of
close at 23-25 High Street, Elgin.
Statement of Special Interest
Cobbled and paved area to forecourt and lane.
Built on site of "Great Lodging" of Scottish Kings and owned
during 14th and 15th centuries by Earls of Moray. By 1650
it was property of the Sutherlands of Duffus, who added to
and embellished the house. After 1715 rising it passed to
the Dunbars (who had owned the property for a period during
the late 16th century); in 1800 purchased by John Batchen,
who let the lower portion as a chapel. Tower added by
Lord Duffus demolished 1822. pair stone figures which
previously flanked doorway bearing Duffus arms, now in Elgin
Former Item 212 (1981 Revised List).
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.