William Robertson, dated 1830. Ashlar to front, finely tooled
ashlar to canted bays and coursed rubble to flanks and to
2-storey, 1-bay wing to E: polished ashlar dressings.
2-storey, 3-bay villa with 2-storey canted bays projecting
on return elevations. Centre entrance fronted by
semi-circular portico with Greek-Doric columns. 2 flanking
windows with bracketted anthemion cornices, similarly
detailed 1st floor windows, pedimented at centre. Shallow
recessed wallface between windows and angle. 8-, 9- or
12-pane sashes; blind boxes; original cast-iron railings over
portico and canted bay balconies. Deep eaves, shallow
piended slate roof with paired centre chimneys.
Coursed and coped walls to Moss Street with 4 monolith
panelled gate piers and one pair ashlar end piers, each
having copes decorated with Greek key pattern border and
anthemion motif. Cast-iron gates.
Coped rubble garden walls.
Domestic ice-house in garden.
Statement of Special Interest
Built for Mrs Grant of Elchies.
Advertisement for tenders for "cottage to be built
adjoining the Rothes Road" by William Roberton Architect, almost certainly refers to South Villa, William Robertson had extended
Western Elchies in 1828 besides other commissions for the
Grants of Elchies.
Former Item 155 (1981 Revised Lists).