Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HILL STREET, LADYHILL HOUSE HOTELLB30803

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/08/1981
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Burgh
Elgin
NGR
NJ 21144 62763
Coordinates
321144, 862763

Description

1811. Additions 1853, Thomas Mackenzie; further

additions, 1908, A Marshall Mackenzie. Harled and

whitewashed. Original house, 2 storeys and attic over

raised basement, 3 bays with centre door (masked by

later glazed loggia). Later flanking bowed bays rising

full height with semi-conical roofs. Single storey wing to

E gable with bowed bay with 3 small round-headed windows and semi-conical roof deep loggia in Elgin "piazza"

style incorporating various reused pediments, pillars,

marriage stones, etc, removed from 17th century Elgin

houses. 1853 neo-Romanesque porch to NW with heavily

moulded and vaulted interior. Corniced end stacks;

crowstepped gables; slate roofs.

High rubble garden walls; lintel of 1623 incorporated over

garden entrance in Hill Terrace.

Statement of Special Interest

House owned by architect Thomas Mackenzie (died 1854) and

his son, A Marshall Mackenzie, also an architect. Loggia

built to house decorative stone work, square pillars and

pediments from various sources in Elgin including Ritchie's

House, Nos 147-149 High Street, bought and rebuilt by A

Marshall Mackenzie circa 1880. T S Hutchon's map of Elgin,

1855, shows only E bow. Appears on Woods 1822 map as

simple rectangular building.

Former Item 118 (1981 Revised List).

References

Bibliography

Robert Young, ANNALS OF THE PARISH AND BURGH OF ELGIN (1879),

J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED, (1868), p.144.

H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT, (1914), pp.112, 181,

225.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HILL STREET, LADYHILL HOUSE HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/07/2022 12:34