Dated 1694; 3-storey and attic, 3-bay merchant's house
with arcaded ground floor; harled rubble, stone
margins. 4 round-headed arches in ground floor (one
leading to pend) resting on squat pillars with square
moulded capitals. 1st and 2nd floor windows slightly
enlarged in early 19th century, with tooled margins;
attic window E gable with original roll moulding; 2 swept
dormers in stone slab roof; 3 smiliar dormers of varying
size to rear; crowsteps; moulded copes to gables chimneys.
Contemporary 3-storey irregular 2-bay gabled and crowstepped
wing to rear with 2 chamfered foorways, one
probably giving on to scale and plat stair. No remaining
original internal features except portions of stair.
Further 2-storey, 3-bay building of 17/18th century date
giving onto close; rubble with chamfered mouldings to door
and windows. Large later 19th century warehouse of 2
storeys, 6 bays. Rubble, stugged and tooled dressings.
Single storey 3-bay side elevation of 48 High Street flanks
Statement of Special Interest
Dated on skewputts, in initials AO and IH for Andrew
Ogilvie, merchant, and Janet Hay his wife. Cobbled and
paved pend and close with stone runnels.
Former Item 95 (1981 Revised List).