There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 20/08/1981
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Burgh: Elgin
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NJ 21162 62809
- Coordinates: 321162, 862809
William Burn, architect, Edinburgh, 1839. 80 feet high
Roman Doric column with later (1854-5) statue of Duke of
Gordon in robes of Chancellor of Marischall College
Aberdeen. Sculptor, Thomas Goodwillie; architect
(1854-5), Mackenzie and Mathews, Elgin. Stepped plinth;
cast-iron spearhead railings with iron stiffeners enclose
Statement of Special Interest
Plaque records that monument was erected in memory of
George, 5th (and last) Duke of Gordon by public subscription.
Following a bequest by Alexander Craig of Craigton
and members of the Morayshire Farmers CLub, the statue
was added in 1855, designed by Handyside Ritchie and carved
by Thomas Goodwillie of Elgin. The Duke is portrayed wearing
the robes of Chancellor of Marischall College, Aberdeen.
William Burn gave his architectural services free of
Former Item 90 (1981 Revised List).
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT (1914), p.173-4.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.142.
ELGIN COURANT, 15 February 1839 and 3 August 1855.