Thomas Mackenzie, 1842. Additions, 1896. Alterations and
additions, A Marshall Mackenzie and Son, 1920.
Italianate; all polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor.
Museum rising through 2 storeys, 3 stage square tower to
E with shallow pyramidal roof and 3 round chimneys linked by
coping. Square central porch in front (S) gable;
3 tall round-headed windows above moulded cill course with
band course at springing continuing across tower. Single
storey wing to right; lunette clerestory N and S.
Tower, S elevation; 1st floor window with blind
balustrade, pilaster strips and bracketted cornice;
lunette at base of 3rd stage with 3 tall round-headed
windows above (2 outer blind); E elevation as S, but 1st
floor window and lunette blind.
INTERIOR: original main hall with gallery on 3 sides
approached by T-plan staircase near original colour
scheme restored 1979.
Additional hall to N (1896), rubble with top light.
Museum Hall (dated 1921); single storey; ashlar; some
channelled pilasters; corniced entrance on S elevation.
Statement of Special Interest
Corner site with High Street and North College Street.
Property of The Moray Society, formerly The Elgin and
Morayshire Literary and Scientific Associated founded 1836.
Tower contained custodian's quarters, now gutted.
Former Item 29 (1981 Revised List).