Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

44 (FORMERLY 42) SOUTH OSWALD ROAD SCOTTISH AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE INCLUDING GATEPIERSLB30594

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/03/1993
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25436 71283
Coordinates
325436, 671283

Description

Circa 1870. 2-storey, irregular-plan villa with circa 1880 wing to W. Coursed lightly stugged ashlar with polished dresings. Base course; dividing band course; overhanging eaves; raised quoins; raised and lugged window surrounds; chamfered reveals.

S ENTRANCE elevation: 3-bay. Steps up to open porch; paired square columns and single pilasters supporting entablature; stone balustrade above forming balcony to gabled at 1st floor window; pilasters flanking round-arched doorway; panelled door; plate glass sash and case fanlight. Full-height canted window to swept to square at gablehead in advanced bay to outer left. Advanced corniced tripartite window at ground in bay to outer right; stone balustrade above, forming mock windowguard to gabled 1st floor window. Gabled 2-storey ant attic addition (circa 1880) recessed to W; 2 single windows at ground floor; bipartite windows at 1st floor and set in gablehead. Gabled 2-storey, 2-bay service wing recessed to E. E ELEVATION: 3-bay with advanced service wing adjoining to outer right. Single windows in gabled bay to outer left. Single windows in remaining bays.

W ELEVATION: 3 bays to main house; single windows in 2 gabled bays to outer right; single windows in 1st bay, gabled at 1st floor. Advanced 2-storey flat-roofed linking block adjoining to N, bipartite window at ground floor; single window at 1st floor; parapet above. Advanced 2-storey and attic addition to N; single window at ground; bipartite windows at 1st floor and set in gablehead.

N rear elevation: range of service quarters; 2-storey addition to outer right. Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate gabled roof; corniced gablehead stacks; moulded octagonal cans; moulded eaves guttering. INTERIOR: not seen 1991.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: corniced and capped ashlar gatepiers with chamfered angles; varying heights of coped rubble boundary walls. Additional ranges of single storey offices to N and W. garages to NE.

References

Bibliography

PO Directory Map 1870.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 44 (FORMERLY 42) SOUTH OSWALD ROAD SCOTTISH AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE INCLUDING GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 14:50