There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24823 71712
- Coordinates: 324823, 671712
Robert Weir Schultz, 1905-7 (see separate listing of adjoining archishops residence, St Bennet's). Byzantine style, Greek cross-plan private chapel with narthex, aisles, apse and dome. Squared and snecked sandstone with contrasting polished ashlar dressings. Round-headed windows to sides and rear with rope hoodmouldings.
N ENTRANCE elevation: 3-bay narthex; gabled body of church behind with dome at crossing. Architraved round-arched doorway with Celtic carved keystone and impost blocks in central bay; deep-set 2-leaf boarded door with decorative iron hinges and fittings; flanking bays with similarly detailed paired windows set in round-arched panels with carved Celtic crosses in tympani. Ocagonal section drum comprising round-headed panels each with narrow round-arched windows; drum above.
S ELEVATION: canted apse to centre; single window to each face.
E ELEVATION: adjoined to house by 1930s offices.
W ELEVATION: gabled tripartite window to centre; single window to outer right; 2 windows to outer left. Fixed leaded narrow windows to narthex and dome; stained glass windows to chapel. Green copper roofs; pitched roof to chapel; lean-to roof to narthex; copper dome; original lead rainwater goods, including hoppers, downpipes and brackets.
INTERIOR: outstanding classical Italianate style (see notes); geometrical parquet flooring; dado panelling; carved panels; panelled door; domed and vaulted spaces formed by half timber,half plaster columns,fluted columns and pilasters; gilded capitals; decorative plasterwork to barrel vaults; podium, lectern and missal stand by Messrs Scott and Hunter; prie-dieu designed by Schultz and executed by Ernest Gimson; stained glass, 3 lights to apse and 3 lights to W, by Gabriel Loire of Chartres 1969. GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 obelisk gatepiers and quadrant walls to Greenhill gardens; high coped rubble boundary and mutual walls; sundial pedestal (formerly in the grounds of Grange House).
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group with 42 Greenhill gardens (house). The third Marquess of Bute (died 1900) bequeathed a sum of money for the construction of a domestic chapel for the Archishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh. Much of the interior had been designed by William Frame in 1889 for the cahpel at the House of Falkland, Fife. After Frame had been dismissed for drunkenness his scheme was abandoned and the completed work packed away. Robert Weir Schultz replaced Frame at the House of Falkland and was also Lord Bute's choice of architect for the archbishops chapel. In 1899 Schultz had designed a subterranean brick chapel (Byzantine in style and plan) for Lord Bute in the grounds of St John's Lodge, Regent's Park, London. The archishop's chapel appears to be an above ground reworking of the St Johns Lodge chapel, reusing the internal fittings designed by Frame. Account books show that the old parquet flooring was relayed by Scott, Morton & Co, and that a dozen small chairs and prie-dieux were ordered to Schultz's design from the workshops of Ernest Gimson (a single prie-dieu remains). S Sophia (1882-87), Galston and St MIldred's (1928), Linlithgow, by R R Anderson and Dick Peddie and Todd respectively share the unusual choice of Byzantine style with the archiepiscopal chapel.
Dean of Guild 5/10/1905; Builder 2/3/1907; p271; C Cruft Extracts from Weir Schultz office contract journals, fee books, etc. (n.d), NMRS; D Ottewill "Robert Weir Schultz" Architectural History Vol 22 (1979), p91; G Stamp Robert Weir Schultz, architect and his work for the Marquesses of Bute (1981), pp57-60; Gifford et al. Edinburgh (1984), p615; Cardinal GJ Gray St Bennet's, Archbishop's House, Edinburgh (1987), pp4-5.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.