Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

127 GRANGE LOANLB30508

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/03/1993
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25555 71504
Coordinates
325555, 671504

Description

Circa 1868. 2-storey, 3-bay villa with with lower service wing adjoining to W. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble; stugged ashlar with polished dressings to N. Base course; dividing band course; cill course at 1st floor, bracketted cornice; keystoned round-arched windows at ground; segmental-arched windows at 1st floor; pilastered window surrounds; moulded detail to ashlar canopies.

N ENTRANCE elevation: central pilastered and keystoned round-arched doorway with carved consoles, cornice and canopy; panelled door; plate glass fanlight. Single window above. Advanced tripartite window with cornice and swept canopy at ground to outer right; tripartite window at 1st floor above. Bipartite windows in bay to outer left. Service wing recessed and adjoining to W: single window in style of main house at ground and breaking eaves at 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: largely blank.

W ELEVATION: advanced service wing; single windows in 2 bays to centre, those at 1st floor breaking eaves. Plate glass sash and case windows; replacement to 1st floor of service wing. Grey slate piended roof; shouldered and cornice wallhead stacks; moulded octagonal cans; moulded eaves guttering.

INTERIOR not seen 1991.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddleback coped wall to street; high coped rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Possibly by Robert Reid Raeburn.

References

Bibliography

PO Directory Map 1869.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 127 GRANGE LOAN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 16:50