Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

20-24 (Even Numbers) Warrender Park Road, EdinburghLB30490

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/01/1992
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25609 72295
Coordinates
325609, 672295

Description

Circa 1878. 4-storey, 6-bay Scots Baronial tenement. Squared and snecked sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; corbel table at 3rd floor stepped down to 2nd floor at 3rd and 4th bays; chamfered reveals.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 architraved doorways at ground divided by bipartite windows; deep-set panelled doors; plate glass fanlights. Advanced round tower to outer right, set in re-entrant angle with neighbour (nos 26-30 Warrender Park Road and 22-30 Marchmont Crescent, see separate listing); bipartite windows to all floors; additional single window at ground; window at 3rd floor breaking eaves in pedimented and finialled dormerhead with circular patera inset; conical roof with cast-iron weathervane finial. Full-height canted window in bay to outer left, corbelled to square in crowstepped gablehead with floral patera inset. Bipartite windows in bay to inner left; 3rd floor window breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead with thistle finial and circular patera inset. Single windows in bay to inner right; 3rd floor window breaking eaves in finialled pedimented dormerhead. Single windows in remaining central bays, surmounted by crowstepped gable; blank tablet between bays at 3rd floor; bracketted semi-circular pediment set in gablehead.

Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; coped and rendered gablehead and mutual stacks; moulded cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1990.

Low saddleback wall to street.

Statement of Special Interest

Forms continuous irregular terrace with 2-18 and 26-30 (even nos) Warrender Park Road, and 22-30 (even nos) Marchmont Crescent. Mirror image of 14-16 Warrender Park Road.

The period between 1860 and 1900 saw significant residential expansion in the city of Edinburgh with construction of a number of residential tenement suburbs.

The tenement suburb of Marchmont developed between circa 1876 and 1914

following the feuing of the Warrender family estate (land south of the Meadows).

Marchmont's development can be viewed in two distinct phases, with the first phase, prior to 1900, largely following the plan laid out by David Bryce of 1869. This phase, which saw the construction of streets in the north and east of the site, is characterised by the individual nature of the work by builders and architects who frequently developed only one or two feus at a time. These tenements were built predominantly in the baronial style following guidelines set down in the 1869 feu charter. In the second phase, after 1900, the baronial style recedes and elevations become more uniform.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '20-24 (even nos) Warrender Park Road'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 126802

Post Office Directory 1879.

Cant, M. (1984) Marchmont in Edinburgh, Edinburgh: John Donald. pp. 34-50.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

South elevation, 20-24 (Even Numbers) Warrender Park Road, Edinburgh, cars in foreground, taken on a cloudy day.

Printed: 15/08/2022 23:56