Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

86-92 (EVEN NOS) CAUSEWAYSIDE AND 10 SCIENNES HOUSE PLACE, FORMERLB30478

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/05/1990
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26306 72262
Coordinates
326306, 672262

Description

Robert Morham, city architect, 1884. Scottish Baronial 4-storey police station with residential accommodation, square-plan (4 x 4-bay) with chamfered corner and with 2-storey blocks projecting at rear, 1 raised from single storey soon after completion. Craigleith sandstone, squared and snecked with ashlar dressings; base course; string courses above ground and below 3rd floor; jettied 3rd floor, stepped at intervals; chamfered revelas.

N ELEVATION: wide gabled bay to left with round-arched doorway in deeply chamfered surround with moulded arch and bold cable hoodmould and label stops; 2-leaf door. Narrow window at 1st floor; City of Edinburgh armorial in square panel cradled in jettied gablehead; broad set-off stack breaking skew of gablehead to right, and corner turret intercepting to left; blind arrowslit at apex. 3 windows spanning centre bays at ground with window to each floor in bays above, bipartite to 3rd floor left of centre, breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead to right of centre. Gabled stair bay to outer right with door at ground flanked by window, bipartite above, and single windows to 2nd and 3rd landing.

2-storey blocks on W return. Nepus gable to 4-storey wallhead with round-arched panel and square stair window at eaves line, formerly open with railings. Square windows to taller bay to right.

E ELEVATION: 4-bay with chamfered corner. Centre bays gabled; door at ground in bay left of centre with deep fanlight; high window to right; window to each bay in floors above, those at 2nd floor over-stepped by jetting; shield panel at apex. Bipartites to outer left bay at ground, 1st and 2nd floor, single window in gabled dormerhead at 3rd.

Chamfered corner bay comprised of wider window at ground, window at 1st floor, canted windows to 2nd and 3rd floor in turret form, breaking eaves in polygonal gurret roof with decorative wrought-iron finial, and intercepting gablehead on N elevation.

2-STOREY BLOCKS: 2 gabled projections running E-W from W elevation; door and windows to ground at N, 1st floor jettied with arrowslits. N block originally single storey with drying green above.

INGERIOR: not seen (1990). The plans indicate cells were included at ground floor, with kitchens, bedrooms and bed closets at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors.

Ball finials to gabled dormerheads. 8-pane glazing pattern predominating in sash and case windows (some currently blocked, 1990). Grey-green slates, fish-scale to polygonal roof. Wallhead stacks with moulded coping. Crowstepped gables with beak skewputts.

Statement of Special Interest

The Dean of Guild records indicate that various "gable-fronted houses" at Jew's Close were demolished in order to build the police station at what was then known as Braid Place.

The fire station in Sciennes House Place was designed contemporanously, also by Robert Morham, in similar Baronial style and materials. The Jewish Burial Ground neighbouring to W, in Sciennes House Place is listed separately.

Formerly listed as 10 Sciennes House Place, Former Causewayside Police Station. Statutory address changed to 86-92 (Even Nos) Causewayside and 10 Sciennes House Place, Former Causewayside Police Station in September 2011.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 27/10/1884 - 4/5/1885.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 86-92 (EVEN NOS) CAUSEWAYSIDE AND 10 SCIENNES HOUSE PLACE, FORMER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 11:43