Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

7, 7A, AND 7B PALMERSTON ROADLB30457

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/01/1992
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25585 72107
Coordinates
325585, 672107

Description

Circa 1866. 2-storey, 3-bay L-plan villa; subdivided (1954). Squared and snecked sandstone rubble sides and rear; stugged and snecked ashlar with polished dressings at E (entrance) elevation. Base course; cornice; long and short quoins; architraved window surrounds.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: stone porch at centre bay, in re-entrant angle of advanced bay to outer right; 3 polygonal columns (2 attached, 1 detached) with carved foliate capitals supporting keystoned segemental arches, decorative frieze, and deep bracketed cornice; sandstone balustrade painted red; timber soffit; segmental arched architraved doorway; panelled door; plate glass fanlight; blind doorway to advanced bay return. Porch roof serving as balcony to architraved, keystoned and segmental-arched windows (above and on return of advanced bay to right) at 1st floor; replacement decorative wrought-iron balustrade. Advanced bay flanking to outer right with full-height canted window divided by decorative frieze and bracketed cornice. Advanced bipartite window at ground floor flanking to outer left, with bracketed cornice; slightly advanced bipartite window above.

SD ELEVATION: single storey extension; single window at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: single windows at ground and 1st floors.

W ELEVATION: single storey service wing with additions at centre; round-arched stair window above; regular fenestration in remaining bays.

Plate glass sash and case windows, except 2-leaf windows to balcony. Grey slate piended roof; lead flashing; 3 shouldered and corniced wallhead stacks (2 to N, 1 to S); coped wallhead stack to W; mansard roof and dormer to W.

INTERIORS: Nos 7A and 7B not seen 1990; painted glass stair window and cast iron balustrade at No 7.

Low wall with saddleback coping to street; high rubble boundary wall to street to S. 2 garages to rear.

References

Bibliography

PO Directory 1867.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7, 7A, AND 7B PALMERSTON ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/10/2020 17:15