Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Last Date Amended
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25879 72376
325879, 672376


1864. Terrace of eight 2-storey, 2-bay villas with a 3-storey and basement corner tenement pavilion block at the north corner, together forming one side of a dead end street. Droved ashlar to principal elevations with squared and snecked sandstone rubble to rear. Prominent full height 3-light canted bays. Pilastered and round-arched architraves to entrance doors with cornice extending to form band course at first floor level. Projecting cills with plain brackets and plain moulded window surrounds. Continuous decorative stone eaves ballustrading along full length of terrace.

4-panel timber entrance doors with curved mouldings. 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced stone ridge stacks and slate roofs.

The majority of the houses have low boundary walls with copes to the street.

Statement of Special Interest

11-21 Millerfield Place was built in 1864 and is an early example of a planned terrace with full height canted bay windows, a design detail which became prevalent in villas and tenements in the suburban areas of Scotland's larger towns and cities from 1875 onwards. The terrace has good Italian Renaissance architectural detailing such as the bracketed cills, round-arched doorways, prominent cornicing and stone ballustrading to the eaves. This terrace is similar in design to the terrace opposite, 1-10 Millerfield Place (see separate listing), and together they form a good group in the conservation area of parallel terraces with an open aspect onto the meadows, a large public park.

Millerfield Place was built in 1864 on part of the feued back lands of Millerfield House or Hope Park, a late 18th century mansion which fronted onto Sciennes Road. This house was owned by the engraver William Miller in the latter part of the 19th century, and following his death in 1882, his house was demolished to make way for Sciennes School, which opened on the site in 1892. The rear elevation of the school terminates the south end of Millerfield Place. The terraces first appear on the Large scale Ordnance Survey Town Plan Map of 1881.

This terrace of houses and the corner tenement pavilion are all in the ownership of the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and have been converted to offices and ward accommodation (2015).

Category changed from B to C, statutory address and listed building record revised in 2015. Previously listed as '11-21 Millerfield Place'.



Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1877, published 1881) Edinburgh – Sheet 44. Large scale town plan. 2nd edition. London: Ordnance Survey.

Cant, M. (1990) Sciennes and the Grange. Edinburgh: John Donald Publishers. p.69.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 11-21 (INCLUSIVE NOS) MILLERFIELD PLACE INCLUDING GARDEN WALLS, EDINBURGH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 23:26