Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

48-54 (EVEN NOS) MAYFIELD ROADLB30451

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/01/1992
Supplementary Information Updated
29/07/2019
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26553 71551
Coordinates
326553, 671551

Description

Built around 1877 with No. 48 added by 1893. Terrace of four two-storey, non-symmetrical villas designed on a theme. Nos 50, 52 and 54 are two bays wide and No 48 is three bays wide. Built in squared and snecked sandstone rubble with polished ashlar to the principal (east) elevation. There are base, dividing band between the ground and first floors and eaves courses. The first floor windows have raised and shaped window surrounds at the first floor. Each villa has a full-height canted window with a parapet with semi-circular cresting and blinded oculi. Each entrance has a pilastered doorpiece, with carved floreate brackets (those to No 48 are plain) and stylized caps to the entablature and a cornice. There are two-leaf panelled door with plate glass fanlights.

The windows are predominantly four-pane sash and case. The piended roof has grey slates with dividing coping between each villa. There are three corniced ridge chimney stacks and two shouldered wallhead chimney stacks (rendered and lined at the south). There is a later box dormer next to the chimney stack on the south gable. The cast iron gutters have a moulded profile .

Interiors: not seen 1990.

There is a low coped rubble boundary wall to the front and taller stone walls to the side.

Statement of Special Interest

The buildings have design interest for the level of distinguishing architectural details, particular to the street elevation. The four houses have distinctive corniced doorpieces with semi-circular and carved foliate details, which are linked by a first floor string course. The semi-circular motif is repeated in the stone parapets over the canted bay windows. There is other moulded stonework in the first floor window surrounds and the cornice. This terrace is located on a main road in the southern suburbs of Edinburgh. They were built as the city was expanding southwards in the later 19th century.

Numbers 50-54 are shown on the 1877 Ordnance Survey Town Plan where the group of three is marked as 'Allen Terrace'. The map shows a large L-plan stable yard and buildings yard wrapping around the group to the rear with gated access from Mayfield Road. The fourth villa (no.48) was built later and is not shown until the Second Edition Ordnance Survey Map (surveyed 1893 , published 1896). It is larger than the existing three in the terrace.

Listed building record updated in 2019.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1876-1877) Town Plan of Edinburgh (south east part) 1:1056 Southampton: Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey (surveyed, 1893-4, published 1896) Edinburghshire III.12 (Edinburgh) 2nd Edition Southampton: Ordnance Survey

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 48-54 (EVEN NOS) MAYFIELD ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/10/2021 06:36