Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

32-36 AND 38-42 (Even Numbers) Marchmont Crescent, EdinburghLB30433

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/01/1992
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25589 72274
Coordinates
325589, 672274

Description

R Thornton Shiells and Thomson, 1880. Pair of 4-storey, 5-bay Jacobean style tenements at start of curving terrace. Squared and snecked sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; dividing band course above ground floor; cornices dividing windows at each floor; raised surrounds extended down to form aprons to each window (excluding ground floor); basket-arched windows; chamfered reveals; bracketted cills at ground.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: each 5-bay block comprising : doorways at 2nd, 3rd, and 4th bays; panelled doors; plate glass fanlights; single windows flanking to right and left of 2nd and 4th bays respectively.

Full-height canted windows with shaped pediments, faceted conical roofs, and iron finials in bays to outer right. Identical bay to outer left of No 38. Full height advanced bay with tripartite windows, shaped pediment, French pavilion roof, and cast-iron brattishing to outer left of No 32.

Single windows in remaining bays; 4th floor windows breaking eaves in round-arched pediments at bays 2 and 4, and shaped pediments at central bays.

Predominantly plate glass sash and case windows, with 4-panes to main lights of canted windows. Grey slate roof; lead flashing; corniced mutual stack to nos 32-36; coped and rendered stacks elsewhere; moulded cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1990.

Low boundary wall to street.

Statement of Special Interest

Forms continuous irregular terrace with Marchmont Crescent even nos 44-104. Nos 32-36 were built for the Marchmont Crescent Building Association.

The period between 1860 and 1900 saw significant residential expansion in the city of Edinburgh with construction of a number of residential tenement suburbs.

The tenement suburb of Marchmont developed between circa 1876 and 1914

following the feuing of the Warrender family estate (land south of the Meadows).

Marchmont's development can be viewed in two distinct phases, with the first phase, prior to 1900, largely following the plan laid out by David Bryce of 1869. This phase, which saw the construction of streets in the north and east of the site, is characterised by the individual nature of the work by builders and architects who frequently developed only one or two feus at a time. These tenements were built predominantly in the baronial style following guidelines set down in the 1869 feu charter. In the second phase, after 1900, the baronial style recedes and elevations become more uniform.

Architects Robert Thornton Shiells (1833-1902) and James M Thomson (circa 1850-1922) entered into partnership circa 1877 practising predominantly in Edinburgh. The practice designed two tenement blocks in Marchmont between 1878 and 1880.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '32-36 and 38-42 (even nos) Marchmont Crescent'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 127275

Dean of Guild 26/2/1880

Cant, M. (1984) Marchmont in Edinburgh, Edinburgh: John Donald. pp. 20-24.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Shiells and Thomson, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200689 [accessed 17 February 2015].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

West Elevation, 32-36 AND 38-42 (Even Numbers) Marchmont Crescent, Edinburgh, cars om foreground, taken on clear day.

Printed: 29/09/2022 10:16