Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

30, 30A, 32 AND 32A MANSIONHOUSE ROADLB30432

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25895 71896
Coordinates
325895, 671896

Description

Circa 1853. 2-storey, 4-bay rectangular-plan double villa, made 5-bay by addition of recessed bay to N, 1900, subdivided with further additions. Coursed stugged ashlar with rusticated ground floor; squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear. Ground floor windows set in round-arched panels; 1st floor windows architraved. Base, dividing band, and blocking courses; impost and eaves cornices.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entrances at 3rd and 5th bays; deep-set panelled doors flanked by Greek doric columns in antis; arched plate-glass fanlights. Regular fenestration at ground and 1st floors.

N ELEVATION: 2 windows at 1st floor.

S ELEVATION: low addition in sympathetic style adjoined to much larger extension.

E ELEVATION: single storey service wing to outer right; 2-storey extension behind; regular fenestration in remaining bays.

4-pane and plate glass sash and case windows to W; mainly 12-pane sash and case to E. Grey slate piended roof; original mutual corniced stack between 3rd and 4th bays; later shouldered and corniced stack to N.

INTERIORS: not seen 1990.

Low ashlar coped boundary wall, rising to S.

Statement of Special Interest

30, but not 32, is shown on the OS map of 1853. 30 was subdivided in 1945, 32 in 1966. The style of the double villa is that of thirty years earlier, suggesting that it might have been moved and re-erected here, possibly because its former site was required for a tenement development.

References

Bibliography

OS 1853.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 30, 30A, 32 AND 32A MANSIONHOUSE ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 01/11/2020 00:56