Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

24 MANSIONHOUSE ROADLB30429

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/01/1992
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25863 71976
Coordinates
325863, 671976

Description

Circa 1861, style of James Campbell Walker. 2-storey, 3-bay villa. Pinkish grey hammer-dressed sandstone, squared and snecked; contrasting dressings; chamfered reveals. Base and eaves courses, string course to 1st floor cills.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf panelled door; leaded rectangular fanlight; hoodmould. Single windows above door and flanking to left at ground and 1st floor; canted bay swept to square at 1st floor flanking to right (gabled above); blank rectangular tablet in gablehead; stone finial. Distinctive use of vertical banding on door and window surrounds, and on quoins.

N ELEVATION: small window at ground floor; 2 single windows at 1st floor.

S ELEVATION: blank; small glass lean-to with stone-faced addition behind.

4-pane and plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate double-pitched roof; ashlar coped gables; bracketed skewputts; corniced end stacks; octagonal cans; moulded eaves gutter; original rainwater goods, including fleur-de-lys gutter fixtures.

INTERIOR: not seen 1990.

Low boundary wall to street, rising at gateway to S.

Statement of Special Interest

This house shares its distinctive "banding" with its neighbour, 26 Mansionhouse Road, and also 36 Lauder Road, and 11 and 13 Tantallon Place.

References

Bibliography

PO Directory 1864.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 24 MANSIONHOUSE ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/09/2020 07:33