Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

36-40 (EVEN NOS) GRANGE LOAN AND 54 FINDHORN PLACE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND PEDESTRIAN GATEWAYLB30383

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/01/1992
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26405 71821
Coordinates
326405, 671821

Description

Circa 1860. 2-storey and attic, 6-bay symmetrical rectangular-plan flatted vaillas. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble to rear; lightly stugged ashlar with polished dressings to remaining elevations. Base, cill and blocking courses, eaves cornice; architraved window surrounds.

S (CRANGE LAON) ELEVATION: steps up to pilastered and corniced doorpieces in 2nd and 5th bays; panelled doors; plate glass fanlights; single windows above and to each floor of 3rd and 4th bays, tripartite windows to both floors in outer bays.

E ELEVATION: steps up to entrance, detailed as above; single window at 1st floor.

W (FINDHORN PLACE) ELEVATION* 3-bay; central doorpice, detailed as above; 2-light fanlight; probably blinded single windows to outer right and left at ground floor(obscured by vegetation). Smaller single window flanked by windows at 1st floor, that to outer right blinded.

Predominantly plate glass sash and case windows; some small pane windows to No 40. Grey slate piended roof; 2 canted cormers and l2 single flat-roofed dormers to S; shouldered and corniced wallhead and mutual stacks; moulded octagonal cans.

INTERIORS: not seen 1990.

Low coped boundary wall to Grange Loan with some cast-iron railings remaining; high coped boundary wall to Findhorn Place with pedestrian gateway.

Statement of Special Interest

These appear to have been designed as 4 flats freom the outset, with side entrances leading to the upper floor.

References

Bibliography

PO Directory 1860.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 36-40 (EVEN NOS) GRANGE LOAN AND 54 FINDHORN PLACE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND PEDESTRIAN GATEWAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/09/2020 08:57