Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25820 71757
325820, 671757


William Hardie Kininmonth, 1934. Single storey with attic, 8-bay (made 9-bay by extension to W in 1939) pavilioned rectangular-plan Arts and Crafts style double villa. Originally symmetrical: No 40 remains as built; No 42 altered in sympathetic style; later axial double garage also in sympathetic style with herring-bone doors. Harled brick; dark grey pantile roof, Exposed brick base course; small-pane windows flush with wall surface.


NO 40: entrance pavialion to outer left; mannered doorway; deeply recessed door with small-pane glazing; window to W return of entrance pavilion; window flanking to right; bipartite piend-roofed stair window breaking eaves to right in piend-roofed dormerhead; series of 4 windows, secondary entrance, and single window to outer right; piend-roofed bipartite dormer window above.

NO 42: mirror of above, except: 1-bay extension to W including additiona l ground floor windows and 2 piend-roofed bipartite dormers above; porch door; pitched-roof link between house and garage with repositioned secondary entrance and window to W.

E ELEVATION: 2 single windows to outer right; piend-roofed canted dormer with bipartite window.

W ELEVATION: piend-roofed tripartite dormer window.


NO 40: pavialion with tripartite window to outer right; bipartite window in bay to inner right; bipartite and tripartite windows with external shutters in bays to outer and inner left respectively; blank square panels and piend-roofed bipartite dormers above each bay except pavilion.

NO 42: mirror of above, except: French windows and 2 piend-roofed bipartite dormers in additional bay to outer left; lengthened windows at centre and to outer right.

Small-pane fixed or casement windows flush with wall plane. Piended roof with dark grey "Ideal" pantiles and ridge tiles; grey slates at part of entrance pavilion to NO 40 and at eaves of No 42 (near stair window); coped harled stacks with blank band beneath coping; eaves guttering.

INTERIORS: not seen 11990.

High coped rubble walls to street and boundaries; harled brick mutual wall.

Statement of Special Interest

This double villa was built for the solicitor, Thomas H Williamson, on lands formerly belonging to Egremont or Grange Park House. Although the drawings at the dean of Guild archives are signed "Kininmonth and Spence", the petition to the Dean of Guild Court is signed by Kininmonth alone. Simultaneously Kininmonth was at work on his own Modermist style house at 46A Dick Place - also part of the Egremont estate.



Dean of Guild 19/1/1934, 21/4/1939.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 40 AND 42 DICK PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/03/2024 02:37