Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

40-43 (Inclusive Numbers) Argyle Place, EdinburghLB30341

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/01/1992
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25655 72461
Coordinates
325655, 672461

Description

John C Hay, dated 1875. 4-storey with attic, Scots Baronial corner tenement with shops at ground floor, part of terrace. Squared and snecked sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Cornice above shops; corbel table at 3rd floor forming segmental-arched hoods to 2nd floor windows, extended down at 4th bay on Argyle Place to form hood to 1st floor window; crowstepped gables; long and short quoins; raised and lugged window surrounds; chamfered reveals.

E (ARGYLE PLACE) ELEVATION: 5-bay above shops (for corner bay see N elevation). 2 shopfronts to outer left with cast iron columns and capitals; remaining shopfronts altered. Bipartite windows in bay to outer left; round-arched single window in gablehead. Bipartite windows in 4th bay, advanced at 2nd and 3rd floors and attic; round-arched windows and circular "RW 1875" monogram in gablehead. Single windows in remaining bays with gabled and finialled dormer with round-arched bipartite window.

N (ARGYLE PARK TERRACE) ELEVATION: 3-bay architraved doorway to shop at ground floor; shopfront altered. Slightly recessed bowed corner bay to outer left breaking eaves in towerhead with conical roof; bipartite windows at 1st and 2nd floors, 1st floor window corniced and plaster flanked; single window at 3rd floor; pedimented and finialled dormer window at attic; conical roof with finial. Single windows in remaining bays; round-arched bipartite window in gablehead.

4-pane and plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; corniced gablehead and mutual gable stacks; moulded cans; gabletted skewputts to E and beaked to N; some original rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1990.

Statement of Special Interest

Forms continuous irregular terrace with 31-40 (inclusive nos) Argyle place, 1-5 (inclusive nos) Argyle Park Terrace and 1-15 (odd nos) Roseneath Terrace. Designed for the builder, John Pyper.

The period between 1860 and 1900 saw significant residential expansion in the city of Edinburgh with construction of a number of residential tenement suburbs.

The tenement suburb of Marchmont developed between circa 1876 and 1914

following the feuing of the Warrender family estate (land south of the Meadows).

Marchmont's development can be viewed in two distinct phases, with the first phase, prior to 1900, largely following the plan laid out by David Bryce of 1869. This phase, which saw the construction of streets in the north and east of the site, is characterised by the individual nature of the work by builders and architects who frequently developed only one or two feus at a time. These tenements were built predominantly in the baronial style following guidelines set down in the 1869 feu charter. In the second phase, after 1900, the baronial style recedes and elevations become more uniform.

John Charles Hay (c.1840-1925) was an architect who practised exclusively in Edinburgh. He designed a number of tenements in Marchmont between 1974 and 1882.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '40-43 (inclusive nos) Argyle Place'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 125960

Post Office Directory 1879.

Cant, M. (1984) Marchmont in Edinburgh, Edinburgh: John Donald. pp. 114-122.

Gifford, J. McWilliam, C. and Walker, D. (1991) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. London: Penguin Books. p. 500.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, John Charles Hay, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=201417 [accessed 17 February 2015].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

South elevation, 40-43 (Inclusive Numbers) Argyle Place, Edinburgh,cars in foreground, taken on sunny day.

Printed: 15/08/2022 23:01