Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GRANTON HARBOUR, EASTERN BREAKWATERLB30220

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/11/1989
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24128 77683
Coordinates
324128, 677683

Description

1853-63. L-plan breakwater; 3170ft long. Battered rubble sides capped by large ashlar kerb blocks; interlocked rubble surface. Concrete steps down to E side. Remains of timber jetty at N tip. World War II concrete lookout post at N tip: flat roof; door to SE and viewing/gun embrasure to seaward approaches; 2 rectangular concrete pillboxes at intervals along W (harbour) side; flat-roofed and supported on stilts over sloping embankment wall; 1 and 2 entrances and gun embrasures respectively.

Statement of Special Interest

Constructed for the Duke of Buccleuch as part of developments at Granton Harbour. The World War II defence fortifications were constructed to defend against an enemy landing in the harbour.

References

Bibliography

PLAN and SECTION showing proposed breakwaters at Granton Harbour, 1841 (RHP 9490/1) at Scottish Record Office, West Register House; appears on First Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map 6" to 1 mile, surveyed 1852, published 1855, Edinburgh Sheet 2; Francis H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, 1883, p213; GRANTON HARBOUR HANDBOOK published by Ed J Burrow & Co with foreword by the Duke of Buccleuch (post-1955); John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker EDINBURGH in 'The Buildings of Scotland' series (first published 1984, this edition 1991) p602.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GRANTON HARBOUR, EASTERN BREAKWATER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/06/2024 05:13