Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

9-13 (ODD NOS) CALTON HILLLB30203

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
14/03/1989
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26026 74105
Coordinates
326026, 674105

Description

Later 18th century. Tenement on steeply sloping corner site with external circular stair tower to E; 3-storey basement and attic, 4 bays to N elevation, 3 bays to E elevation. Predominantly rubble (stair tower partially harled; some brick and harl to E elevation) with polished and stugged ashlar margins. Long and short quoins. Regular fenestration.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber-panelled and glazed basement door at far right, brick relieving arch above lintel. To left, stone steps up to timber panelled door in recessed opening to ground floor, flanked by 1 window to left, 2 to right. To far left, chamfered corner; stop-chamfer between ground and 1st floor. Dormers to outer left and right bays.

E ELEVATION: stair tower at centre with external steps leading to N facing doorway to ground floor.

GLAZING etc: plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Flat-roofed dormers with lead haffits. Mansard roof (see Notes); grey slate. Gablehead stack to E elevation.

INTERIOR: only ground floor and tower seen, 2002. Ground floor now open plan; recessed cooking range remains (E. wall). Tower; spiral stair rising from ground to 3rd floor level.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Nos 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 and 26 Calton Hill and Rock House, Calton Hill.

This former tenement has now been incorporated into the hotel which also occupies Nos 15 and 3,5 and 7 Calton Hill. The ground floor is now a restaurant, and the floors above hotel accommodation. It is of particular interest due to its unusual external circular stair tower and as one of the last remaining buildings of the old Calton or Caldtoun Village, which formed the heart of the Barony of Calton. It was owned for a long time by the Prison Commissioners and was used to house prison warders from the nearby Calton Gaol (now demolished). The attic storey accommodation is provided by the mansard roof which was a later addition.

Before the development of Waterloo Place and the Regent Bridge, Calton was a community quite remote (both in social and infrastructure terms) from the City of Edinburgh proper. The village was part of the parish of South Leith, and members of the community travelled to Leith to worship. It was however considered unsatisfactory to bury the dead of Calton at Leith, and so the Incorporated Trades of Calton (est. 1631) bought and maintained a burying-ground for the use of the Barony. The building of the Regent Bridge and the Waterloo Place development (under the Act of 54 George III cap. 170, 1814) required the intersection of this burying-ground (now known as the Old Calton Burying Ground), and also resulted in the demolition of many of the old houses of Calton Burgh.

Before the construction of Regent Bridge formed a new direct route to Calton Hill from the New Town, the only means of access to the original burying ground and Calton Hill itself was via the "steep, narrow, stinking spiral street" (Cockburn) that is now known as Calton Hill (formerly High Calton). In the 1970s, the remaining old village houses on the lower portion of the north side of Calton Hill were demolished. The street is cobbled, and on the south side retains a wide iron gutter into which a wedge attached to carts and carriages could be fitted, in order to assist braking on the steep and dangerous descent.

References

Bibliography

Appears on John Ainslie's map, c.1780. M S Irvine HISTORICAL NOTES - THE CALTON OR CALDTOUN OF EDINBURGH 1631-1887 (Cowan Bequest, Edinburgh Room, Edinburgh Central Library). PETITION OF THE EDINBURGH AND LEITH CORPORATION GAS COMMISIONERS Dean of Guild Records 1908 Edinburgh City Archives. Cockburn MEMORIALS OF HIS TIME (1910 ed.) p228. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) p138-147. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991) p448. A Mitchell THE PEOPLE OF CALTON HILL (1993) p22.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9-13 (ODD NOS) CALTON HILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/02/2020 23:51