Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

94 AND 96 SPRING GARDENS, (FORMER ELSIE INGLIS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL NURSES' HOME)LB30200

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
08/02/1989
Supplementary Information Updated
27/10/2017
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 27304 74164
Coordinates
327304, 674164

Description

H O Tarbolton, 1927. Symmetrical, H-plan former nurses' home, (currently flats, 2007) with recessed 2-storey and attic, 6-bay central range and 3-storey, 2-bay outer bays. Distinctive jerkinhead roofs to outer bays. Red brick in Flemish bond pattern. Rectangular window openings with brick lintel detail. Base course, string course. Advanced single-storey central entrance porch to W (main) elevation with pan-tiled bell-cast roof. Cat-slide dormers.

E elevation with stair towers in re-entrant angles.

Predominantly 12-pane non-traditional casement windows. Modern red pantiles. Mansard roof to central range.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with 1 Waverley Park and 100 Spring Gardens This distinctive, purpose-built former nurses home is particularly distinguished by its unusual North European design and red brick building material. The building is strongly associated with Dr Elsie Inglis, one of the most famous of Edinburgh s doctors. The jerkin-headed roof pattern is uncommon and brick is a particularly unusual building material in Edinburgh, where stone is the more usual material. The former nurses home is associated with the Elsie Inglis Hospital (see separate listing), also by Tarbolton, and both have considerable historic interest because of their link with Dr Elsie Inglis. Born in India in 1864, Elsie Maud Inglis studied medicine at the Edinburgh School of Medicine for Women. After qualifying, she worked in London and then returned to Scotland, opening a seven bed hospital and nursing home for women in George Square in 1899. In 1904, this moved to larger premises in the High Street changing its name to The Hospice and providing hospital accommodation for the poorest women of Edinburgh during their pregnancy. During WWI, Elsie Inglis worked in Europe, particularly in Serbia and Russia with The Scottish Women s Hospitals for Foreign Service, which she founded. She was taken ill whilst working in Russia in 1917 and died in November of that year. She is commemorated in Serbia and Montenegro at the huge Elsie Inglis Memorial Hospital for women and children in Belgrade, at Belgrade University and at Mladanovac where a fountain was erected. The maternity hospital in Edinburgh was built as a memorial to her work and opened in July 1925. It closed in 1988. Also on the site is this brick built nurse s home and an outpatients block (see separate listing). H O Tarbolton (1869-1947) was born in Nottingham and worked in Edinburgh from the early 1890s. His work was primarily based in Edinburgh and the Lothians but he did work throughout Scotland and in Bermuda, where he had an office. His work included mostly public buildings and private houses. He worked early in his career with John Kinross. Converted to flats in the 1990s. List description updated as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08. Change of category from B to C(S) 2008.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey Map (1931-2). John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p556. Harriet Richardson, Scottish Hospitals Survey, unpublished manuscript. Lothian Health Board Archive at www.lhsa.ed.ac.uk (accessed 18-07-07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 94 AND 96 SPRING GARDENS, (FORMER ELSIE INGLIS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL NURSES' HOME)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 12:46