Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

22 AND 24 ST GILES STREETLB30163

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/12/1974
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25664 73660
Coordinates
325664, 673660

Description

David Bryce, 1872-3, with alterations by George Shaw Aitken, 1895. Scots Baronial office building (see Notes) on steeply-sloping corner site, with pepper-pot turrets to NW and NE; 4 storeys and attic, double basement to N. Ashlar (painted to ground). Continuous cornices to ground and 1st floors. Crowstepped gables with apex stacks.

W (ST GILES STREET) ELEVATION: 2-window gabled bays to outer right and left; 2 pedimented dormerheads and small timber dormer to attic at centre. 2-leaf timber-panelled door to centre with decorative grille to fanlight; decorative grilles below plate glass windows to shop-fronts. Key-blocked windows at 1st floor, round-headed to left, lugged to right; corniced window with key-blocked oculus above to centre (see Notes).

N ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated; : 2-window gabled bays to outer right and left; pedimented dormerhead to centre.

Plate glass to ground floor; small-pane glazing to 1st floor to St Giles St; 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows above.

Statement of Special Interest

St Giles Street was formed by in 1869 by the demolition of tenements and closes. The site belonged to The Royal Bank, and was developed by them. The site plan shows 'the new stairs to Market Street' - still known as The New Steps. St Giles Street became a street of newspaper offices; Nos 22 and 24 were built as offices for the Daily Review. The first printing in these offices was in 1872; printing machinery was accommodated in the basement. The N elevation is important to the sky-line of the Old Town from Princes Street.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1877 OS map. Dean of Guild drawings, 4th July 1871 and 2nd May 1895. Fiddes and Rowan (ed) MR DAVID BRYCE (1976) p 93. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 233.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 22 AND 24 ST GILES STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:46