Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

3-29 (ODD NOS) NORTH BRIDGE, CARLTON HOTELLB30142

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - (see notes)
Date Added
12/12/1974
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25933 73766
Coordinates
325933, 673766

Description

William Hamilton Beattie and Andrew R Scott centre and north sections, 1898-99; Arthur George Sydney Mitchell and George Wilson south section, 1898. Long Scots Renaissance block extending around corner to Jeffrey Street; sub-structure, mainly 4-storey and attic; semi-symmetrical treatment with modern shopfronts at ground. Treated as 4 blocks; architectural details repeated throughout: 1st floor canted oriels; broken segmental pediments; 2nd floor recessed keyblocked arched windows; 3rd floor regular single windows; triangular-pedimented dormerheads containing broken segmental pediments; copper ogee-roofed turrets with finials. Polished coursed cream sandstone ashlar; cill and string courses. Carved thistles, roses, shamrocks, fleur de lis and Renaissance strapwork decoration.

W (NORTH BRIDGE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 8-bay S block (Mitchell & Wilson): central entablatured entrance with broken segmental-arched pediment containing carved monogram and putto; central 2-bay wallhead gable with triangular open, broken pediment, central niche and corniced gable stack; flanking paired1st floor oriels with arched windows above; corbelled crenellated parapet and turret rising from 3rd floor outer left. Central symmetrical 13-bay block (Beattie & Scott): central 3-bay section with single window and flanking stone mullioned and transomed oriels; arched windows above; flanking turrets rising from 2nd floor; central heavily ornamented triangular bay rising above attic level with central niche and flanking windows. Smaller symmetrical 5-bay section towards N (Beattie & Scott): central 1st floor oriels with recessed bay above and corniced gable stack; flanking dormers and smaller timber dormers higher on roof; turret rising from 2nd floor. N corner block (Beattie & Scott): 4 bays to North Bridge; outer bay with 1st floor oriels; 3rd floor single windows triangular-pedimented; turret to outer left (corner).

N (JEFFREY STREET) ELEVATION: asymmetrical 8-storey and attic 4-bay corner gable block; symmetrical 4-bay gable section extending E. Canted section joins 2 gables; curved part-cantilevered 4th floor bay (ground floor at North Bridge level). Keyblocked carriage arch to Carrubber's Close at outer left with oculus above; paired 4th floor canted oriels to E gable; central triangular pedimented gable stacks between engaged turrets to each gable.

E (REAR) ELEVATIONS: symmetrical S block; central projecting square stairwell with pyramidal roof and gable stack. Advanced central section with series of advancing bays and later brick stairwell to N. Block to N: crenellated ocagonal tower with dormer in polygonal pointed roof and decorative iron brattishing. Red bull-faced sandstone with cream ashlar margins; coursed cream ashlar to N.

Timber sash and case plate glass windows; timber casements within arches, upper sections small-pane glazing. Modern plate glass to shops. Grey slate roofs; slated dormer cheeks. Coped stacks; lost cans. Decorative cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: modern refurbished interior.

Statement of Special Interest

A-group with 137-141 High Street and 31 North Bridge, Royal Bank Building; 25-52 North Bridge, including Scotsman Hotel, Scotsman Steps, Royal Mile Mansions; 175 and 177 High Street; and 65-71 Cockburn Street (see separate listings). The North Bridge was widened in 1894-7 (the bridge was designed by Cunningham, Blyth & Westland) as part of the overall plan to improve rail access to the city. The scheme for the North Bridge buildings generally follows the lines laid down in a competition won by John Nichol Scott and James Anderson Williamson in 1896, but departed from by the executant architects. The mediaeval closes Halkerston's Wynd and Kinloch's Close were demolished to make way for the development on the east side. Carrubber's Close remains, enclosing the rear of the blocks. This block and the Scotsman Building on the west side, by James Bow Dunn and James L Findlay, 1899-1902, form an imposing gateway between the Old and the New Towns. The blocks on the east side were stone-cleaned and repaired in 2002.

References

Bibliography

Edinburgh City Archive, Dean of guild plans dated 1898, 1899. BUILDER October 22 1898. Appears on 1905 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam, Walker BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH (1984) p231. Edinburgh World Heritage Trust EDINBURGH OLD TOWN STUDY RECORDS (1989). AHSS Magazine Winter 2000 pp8-9.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3-29 (ODD NOS) NORTH BRIDGE, CARLTON HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 09:57