Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

41-47 (ODD NOS) LOTHIAN STREETLB30136

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/07/1986
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25825 73220
Coordinates
325825, 673220

Description

Circa 1820. 4-storey classical corner tenement with arcaded commercial premises at ground floor, 8 bays to Lothian Street (arranged 4 and 4), 6 bays to Brighton Street (arranged 3 and 3). Corner block slightly advanced. Droved ashlar, painted at ground, 1st and 2nd floor. Banded string course at ground, 1st and 2nd floors, cill course at 1st floor, corniced eaves course. Round arched windows at ground floor.

S (LOTHIAN STREET) ELEVATION: 8-bay elevation with 12-bay arcaded ground floor, divided into 2 symmetrical blocks, with corner block slightly advanced. Central timber panelled doors with round -arched blind fanlights to Nos 43 and 45, flanked by 5 windows of commercial premises at Nos. 41 and 47 (glazed doors to Nos. 41 and 47).

N (BRIGHTON STREET) ELEVATION: 6 bays, 3 bays to left slightly advanced and windowless. Arcaded ground floor with 2 closely set windows to far left and 4 closely set windows to far right. Blind windows at third floor to 2 outer left bays.

Plate glass in timber sash and case windows at 1st and 2nd second floor, 12-pane glazing at 3rd floor, arcaded ground floor windows with late 20th century glazing scheme. Piended double pitch roof, grey slates. Straight skews. Corniced ridge stacks and shouldered (rendered) wide wallhead stack, cylindrical clay cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Well proportioned early 19th century classical tenements and commercial premises to form part of a mirrored pair, with Nos 29-39 Lothian Street, framing entrance to Brighton Street. These buildings form an integral part of the early formal town planning, part of the development of the Southside following the demolition of the Trades Maiden Hospital on Bristo Place. Lothian Street was funded by the South Bridge Trustees to improve access between Bristo Street and Potterrow. The Trades Maiden Hospital sold some of their garden ground to facilitate this road which was constructed around 1800. At this point the Hospital Trustees wished to relocate as the accommodation was no longer adequate and the building fabric deteriorating. The close proximity of the new road supported their case and the hospital relocated to Lauriston in 1818. The site including its remaining garden grounds was developed to continue the Lothian Street streetscape. Development on Lothian Street commenced at the east end with tenements, which have since been demolished to accommodate the rear entrance of the Royal Museum constructed 1934-7

In the 1960s the University development at Potterow resulted in the demolition of the tenement buildings on the south side of Lothian Street. These tenements are the only remaining structures to indicate the original streetscape.

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12.)

References

Bibliography

Appears on J Kirkwood, Plan of Edinburgh (1821). J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh (1984) p221.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 41-47 (ODD NOS) LOTHIAN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/01/2022 03:33