Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

3 AND 5 GAYFIELD STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB30098

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
12/12/1974
Supplementary Information Updated
19/03/2003
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26004 74641
Coordinates
326004, 674641

Description

1888. Symmetrical, 3-storey, 10-bay (8-bay to upper floors to front elevation) double tenement block. Squared snecked rubble with stugged margins (coursed rubble to side elevation). Base course; eaves cornice. Stugged long and short quoins. Regular fenestration.

SE (PRINCIPLE) ELEVATION: timber-panelled door with letterbox fanlight to 3rd and 8th bays to ground floor. To upper floors, 2nd and 3rd bays and 6th and 7th bays are close-spaced.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: to 3rd and 8th bays; door to ground floor, windows at half-storey to upper floors.

GLAZING etc: mixture of 4-pane and plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows to front elevation; mixture of 12-pane and plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows to rear. Pitched roof; grey slates; stone skews and skewputts. 4 wallhead stacks to front elevation; 1 gablehead stack to left; 1 ridge stack to centre; 1 gablehead stack to right; all stacks corniced and rendered with circular cans.

BOUNDARY WALL: to rear, random rubble wall, built circa 1800 (see Notes) with occasional brick sections; flat stone coping.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of smaller scale simple residential architecture of the late nineteenth century. It also has streetscape and historical value as an element of the Gayfield estate development.

3 and 5 Gayfield Street forms part of the Gayfield Estate, so called because it stands on the former grounds of Gayfield House (East London Street; 1763-5, still extant; separately listed Category A). These lands were feued by the solicitor James Jollie from 1785. Building began on either side of the drive to the house; the building line on the SW of Gayfield Square follows the line of the drive. These developments began to establish the form of Gayfield Square, which forms the heart of the estate. The gardens at the core of the square were preserved from development as early as the 1790s; Sasines record that '..the area of Gayfield Place [is] to remain an open space for all time coming.' Union Street is on the boundary of these lands, the north side being Gayfield land, and the south side of the street built on land at the edge of the adjoining Picardy estate.

3 and 5 Gayfield Street is built on the back garden land of 6 Gayfield Square (see separate List description), which was owned by James Shaw. It is likely that Shaw, who was a land agent and accountant, bought the villa with a view to developing its garden land. The wall to the rear of 3 and 5 Gayfield Square is part of the original garden wall of 6 Gayfield Square. Shaw subsequently developed part of the garden land of 7 and 8 Gayfield Square in 1890, building a compact tenement which was named Shaw's Square.

References

Bibliography

Edinburgh City Archives, Dean of Guild, 14th June 1888. O.S. Map, 1896. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH, (1991) pp 427-428.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3 AND 5 GAYFIELD STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/06/2022 01:20