Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25586 73629
325586, 673629


Circa 1810, with later alterations and additions, 1898. 5-storey and attic corner tenement with shops to ground floor; 5 bays to Bank Street, later canted corner bay with bowed shop to ground floor and 4-storey canted 4-light oriel above (see Notes); 3 bays to North Bank Street. Ashlar (painted to ground). Cill courses at 1st and 3rd floors; dividing band between 1st and 2nd floors.

E (BANK STREET) ELEVATION: bays grouped 4:1; timber panelled storm doors to shops; blind windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors in 2nd bay from left; timber panelled door with small-pane fanlight in corniced and pilastered doorpiece to outer right.

BOWED CORNER: bowed glass to shop; pilaster strips, channelled to 1st floor; shaped parapet to oriel; tripartite window above; parapet to roofline, balustered to centre.

N (NORTH BANK STREET ELEVATION): regularly fenestrated; large slate-hung timber pedimented dormers (1898) to attic.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows; some 12-pane glazing. Grey slates. Broad brick stack to outer left, cement-rendered wallhead stack to right at Bank Street; corniced ashlar wallhead stack to left at North Bank Street, all with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

The Dean of Guild Plans (for Edinburgh Corporation Tramways) show the corner cut off this plain tenement, and the addition of the bowed shop and oriel, in order to ease traffic flow on the Mound. A blue plaque on the E wall indicates the birthplace of Sir Robert Philip, pioneer of the fight against tuberculosis.



Dean of Guild 27th October 1898. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 198.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 12-16 (INCLUSIVE NOS) BANK STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 11/08/2022 18:37