Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

FORMER JAMES CLARK SCHOOL, 1-9 (INCLUSIVE NOS) ST LEONARD'S CRAG (NOTE MODERN ADDITIONS OF 1961 IN COURT AND ANNEXE ON ST LEONARD'S HILL ARE EXCLUDED)LB30046

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/12/1974
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26529 72961
Coordinates
326529, 672961

Description

John Alexander Carfrae, 1913-19 extended HD Robertson

1923. Free Franco-Scottish early renaissance, finely

composed, detailed and sited. Approximately L-plan,

2-storey with basements at eastern angle. Random rubble

battered substructure to Holyrood Park, chamfered pilastrade

treatment of ground floor windows, 8 elaborate dormerheads

to 1st floor windows; gable terminates north end of

machicolated bows richly detailed dormers and pyramid roof

broached to conical, bay window south face; south frontage

has set-back verandah upper floor and rich Francois Ier

doorpiece. Arched gateway with niche to St Leonard's Lane.

Statement of Special Interest

Landmark on edge of Holyrood Park. Begun 1913, used as

garrison 1917-18. Named after Col James Clark, Chairman of

Edinburgh School Board, killed in action 1915. The 1923

addition consists of the north end of the frontage to

King's Park.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FORMER JAMES CLARK SCHOOL, 1-9 (INCLUSIVE NOS) ST LEONARD'S CRAG (NOTE MODERN ADDITIONS OF 1961 IN COURT AND ANNEXE ON ST LEONARD'S HILL ARE EXCLUDED)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 15:34