Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2 ROXBURGH PLACE, FORMER ROXY ARTS CENTRE AND LADY GLENORCHY PARISH CHURCHLB30012

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/12/1974
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26137 73355
Coordinates
326137, 673355

Description

Church halls, Thomas Ross, 1909 and adjoining church, Peter MacGregor Chalmers, 1913. 9-bay Scots Gothic aisled former church and buttressed halls with square-plan unfinished tower to NW and distinctive oriel-windowed decorative entrance bay to W (Roxburgh Place). Coursed, tooled rubble with ashlar margins. Base course, cill course, cornice, parapet to church. Hoodmoulding. 3-light simple tracery windows to church at W, single-light clerestory windows to E.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: to W: off-centre, crow-stepped entrance bay with decorative, double, round-arched entrance with clustered colonettes with decorative capitals. Pair of 2-leaf boarded timber doors with decorative cast iron hinges and multi-pane semi-circular fanlights above. 3-light oriel window above.

Predominantly Gothic and round-arched simple tracery and lancet windows with multi-pane leaded windows. Green graded slates. Cast iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.

INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Fine, ashlar and rubble interior to church. Entrance hall with stone balustraded staircase. Boarded, ribbed timber barrel vaulted ceiling with carved bosses. 5-bay round-arched arcades with mostly octagonal piers with decorative carved capitals. Round-arched chancel arch with carved corbels. Some stained glass to apse. Timber-fronted straight gallery to rear.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a well-detailed former church and hall with a distinctive entrance bay which adds significantly to the streetscape of the surrounding area. The impressive interior, typical of MacGregor Chalmers with its unpainted stonework has an interesting timber barrel vaulted ceiling and decoratively carved stonework.

Lady Glenorchy, an 18th century figure, was a keen patron of church building in areas of poverty, mostly in Edinburgh. Having lost their former church building in the development of Waverley Station, the Trustees purchased an old chapel in Roxburgh Place in 1856 which became the Lady Glenorchy Parish Church. This church was a dark, oddly-shaped building which served the poor of the locality. In 1904, the then minister, Rev Thomas Burns, decided to take down the old church and build a new one which would better meet the needs of the people. The church was erected in 2 stages ' the hall in 1908-10 and the church, designed by a different architect, in 1912-13. The cost was £21000. It opened in December 1913 and became one of the busiest churches in Edinburgh. With the widespread demolition of the surrounding tenements in the mid 20th century, the church was sold to the University of Edinburgh in 1969 and became an examination hall. It became an Arts centre in 2003 and it is currently unused (2007).

Thomas Ross (1839-1930) was a celebrated Scottish architect, and one of the partners in the well-known MacGibbon and Ross practice. Perhaps best known for their books, The Domestic and Castellated Architecture of Scotland, which is a comprehensive survey of Scottish architecture before the Restoration, the practice also had an extensive and varied output.

Peter MacGregor Chalmers (circa 1859-1922) studied at the Glasgow School of Art. A master of the Romanesque style, he designed a number of fine churches including Cardonald Parish Church, Glasgow, and St Anne's in Corstorphine, Edinburgh.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey Map, 1931-5. John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p240. Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Canmore database, www.rcahms.gov.uk (accessed 13-12-07). Other information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 ROXBURGH PLACE, FORMER ROXY ARTS CENTRE AND LADY GLENORCHY PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 21:35