Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GREENSIDE PLACE, LADY GLENORCHY'S CHURCHLB30011

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
12/12/1974
Supplementary Information Updated
19/03/2003
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26069 74377
Coordinates
326069, 674377

Description

John Henderson, 1845-46. Symmetrical neo-Perpendicular Gothic crenellated facade on sloping site, now incorporated into front elevation of Omni Building (2000-2002; not listed). 3-bay elevation; slightly advanced 4-stage tower to centre flanked by 2-storey bays. Broached ashlar. String course dividing stages to tower (extends to outer bays above 1st floor level). To tower, paired 3-stage set-back buttresses to front elevation, single 3-stage set-back buttress to return; to 1st stage of tower, clasped between inner buttresses, advanced section with miniature crenellated parapet; to 2nd and 3rd stages, canted oriel with crenellated parapet. Openings predominantly Tudor-arched with archivolts; flat-arched openings to oriel and 4th stage of tower; to outer bays, openings set in 2-storey architraved flat over-arch. To all bays to ground floor, modern plate glass doors and surrounding screens; paired colonettes and hoodmould to opening to central bay; modern steps leading to left bay. To oriel, windows with cusped lancet lights (4-light to front, single lights to canted sides) and central transom; to 4th stage of tower, hoodmoulded window with 3 cusped lancet lights; to 1st floor to flanking bays, windows with 4 lancet lights and central transom. Clock dial to centre merlon to tower parapet.

GLAZING etc: multi-pane leaded glazing of square quarry.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such; only west elevation remains.

Listed for its contribution to the streetscape of one of the city's main thoroughfares and for its historical links to the work of Lady Glenorchy.

Lady Glenorchy (1741-1786) founded several Independent chapels in Scotland and Wales. The first which she established was Lady Glenorchy's Chapel in Low Calton, (situated approximately just to the east of where Waverley Station now stands), in 1773-4. In 1844, an Act of Parliament allowed the North British Railway Company to purchase the chapel and its land by compulsory order, to facilitate the construction of Waverley Station and the accompanying rail tracks. The homeless chapel congregation settled on Greenside Place as a suitable location for their replacement chapel, and work commenced almost immediately. For the first ten months, the congregation met at the Royal High School (see separate List description) on Regent Road, but after that they were able to use a hall in the new church?s extensive basement until the building finally opened completely on 31st May 1846.

Due to the steeply sloping site, the building had extensive basements underneath, making the very plain side elevations five storeys in height. The spacious interior was classical in style and had cast-iron arcades and galleries. In 1893 George Washington Brown renovated the arched ceiling, and a pipe organ was installed.

The congregation underwent unions with other branches of the church several times during the twentieth century, eventually becoming known as the Hillside Parish Church. In 1978, the congregation of Hillside Parish Church united with Greenside Church (see separate List description) and the Lady Glenorchy's Church building fell from ecclesiastical use. For a few years it was used for various ventures, including shops. In 1986, permission was given by the planning authorities to demolish all but the principal elevation of the building, in order to make room for a major mixed-use development on land to the immediate SW of the church. The demolition went ahead, but the development (much revised) was not properly begun until 2000.

References

Bibliography

Edinburgh City Archives, Dean of Guild, 24th April 1845 (not locatable 2002). Lady Glenorchy's Parish Church (Edinburgh) CENTENARY RETROSPECT, 1846-1946, (1946). D. P Thomson, LADY GLENORCHY AND HER CHURCHES: THE STORY OF TWO HUNDRED YEARS, (1967). Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH, (1991), p435.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GREENSIDE PLACE, LADY GLENORCHY'S CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2022 18:28