Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

7 YORK PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGSLB29960

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/09/1966
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25681 74281
Coordinates
325681, 674281

Description

James Adam, 1793. 3-storey and basement, 3-bay asymmetrical castellated terraced house, built as manse for adjoining St George's Chapel. Polished ashlar sandstone; squared and snecked rubble at basement. Base course; band courses between basement and principal floor, and between principal and 1st floors; cill courses at 1st and 2nd floors. Crenellated parapet with corbels. Projecting cills to principal floor windows; reeded aprons to 1st floor windows. Ashlar steps and entrance platt oversailing basement.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced outer bays, round-arched recess at 1st and 2nd floors of centre bay. Advanced doorpiece in bay to right at principal floor, comprising Gothick clustered-shaft engaged columns flanking door, supporting corniced lintel; panelled timber door with decorative radial fanlight. Windows in remaining bays at principal floor, window in bay to left with hoodmould; regular fenestration to floors above, comprising architraved window with hoodmould centred at 1st floor, flanked by windows in round-arched recesses; window centred at 2nd floor flanked by blind cruciform arrowslits. Wallhead panel with 3 blind arrowslits centred at parapet. Irregular fenestration to basement. Flagged basement area.

W ELEVATION: random rubble gable, with adjoining building at principal and 1st floors, see separate listing (5B York Place).

E ELEVATION: adjoining building, see separate listing (9-13 York Place).

S (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 1998.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, piended at centre. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered gablehead stack; coped, with circular cans.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1998. Probably by Alexander Laing.

RAILINGS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with spear-headed and urn finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Feuing in York Place began in 1793, after Lord Alva sold land to the north east of St Andrew Square to the city.

No 7 York Place was built as the manse for the Reverend Alexander Cleeve of St George's. It was sold to the architect Alexander Laing in 1795. James Adam's only castle style town house, it is very similar to such as Dalquharran Castle in Ayrshire (1790), built by his father Robert Adam, especially with the round-arched window recesses and corbelled parapets that exemplified the latter's castle style.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), pp332-4; King, THE COMPLETE WORKS OF ROBERT AND JAMES ADAM (1991), pp398, 407; McKean, EDINBURGH (1992), pp109-110; MacRae Heritors 19 and 38.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7 YORK PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/07/2022 21:58