Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

14-22 (EVEN NOS) TORPHICHEN STREET AND 1, 1A TORPHICHEN PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGSLB29850

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24282 73312
Coordinates
324282, 673312

Description

James Haldane, earlier to mid 19th century. Classical palace block of terraced houses, 5-bay to W (forming corner with 4-bay Torphichen Place), 6-bay to E, flanking pair of 2-storey with basement 3-bay houses. Droved sandstone ashlar to basement; polished sandstone ashlar, with V-jointed rustication at ground floor, to remaining floors; polished dressings. Base course; band course between ground and 1st floors; string course; cornice and blocking course, raised terminal pavilions; cornice and raised coped blocking course to central pavilion. Giant anta pilasters to 1st and 2nd floor terminal pavilions, corniced architraves to 1st floor windows intervening section; panelled aprons to 1st floor windows, architraves to 1st and 2nd floor windows, cill course to 2nd floor windows Torphichen Place elevation. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.

N (MAIN) ELEVATION:

W (terminal) pavilion (No 14): recessed timber panelled door with fanlight to centre of ground floor; windows to flanking bays and to all bays upper storeys.

Central pavilions (Nos 16-18): recessed panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight to 2 central bays at ground floor; windows to flanking bays and to all bays upper storeys; anthemion and palmette pattern ironwork balconies to 1st floor of No 18.

E (terminal) pavilion (Nos 20-22): 2-leaf, 2-panel timber doors with fanlight to 2 central bays at ground floor; windows to flanking bays and to all bays upper floors; anthemion and palmette pattern ironwork balconies to 1st floor windows.

W (TORPHICHEN PLACE) ELEVATION: recessed 4-panelled timber door with timber panel in fanlight to bay to outer right at ground floor; windows to bays to left, 2 bays to outer left infilled; windows to all bays of upper floors; coped blocking course.

E ELEVATION: rendered; predominantly obscured by adjoining building.

S ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

Principally 12-pane timber sash and case windows (2-pane to upper floors of No 14). Roof not seen. Mixture of ashlar and rendered stacks, coped, with moulded cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

RAILINGS: fleur-de-lys and acorn-head railings to street and to entrance platts.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. This continuation of James Haldane's Morrison development reflects the pavilioned arrangement of Nos 2-12 Torphichen Street. It comprises well-conceived simple classical features, notably a rusticated ground floor, a giant order and neat corniced architraves. It seems that, like Nos 2-12, this part of Torphichen Street may have suffered from some dislocation in the completion of its components: parts of the elevation are missing from the 1853 OS Map, on which this side of Torphichen Street appears as St Cuthbert's Street.

References

Bibliography

PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1853 Ordnance Survey Map; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p383.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14-22 (EVEN NOS) TORPHICHEN STREET AND 1, 1A TORPHICHEN PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2020 10:15