Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

INFIRMARY STREET, SOUTH BRIDGE RESOURCE CENTRE AND 8 INFIRMARY STREET, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB29793

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/08/1987
Supplementary Information Updated
28/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26075 73418
Coordinates
326075, 673418

Description

Robert Wilson, 1885. 2-storey, Gothic, L-plan former school (currently resource centre (2007

with triple gabled elevation to N (Infirmary Street) with central apex bellcote. Base course, moulded string course, cornice. Droved, coursed sandstone with contrasting ashlar dressings. Some gables break wallhead. Shouldered openings to ground, shallow, pointed-arch window openings to 1st storey and some square windows to side and rear elevations.Segmental-arched entrance openings to E and W with 2-leaf, 6-panel timber doors and 'Boys' and 'Girls' carved above.Later (1892) full height addition to S.Infirmary Street (N) elevation with slightly advanced, buttressed central bay with three-light windows, those to 1st storey with Corinthian reveal colonnettes. Central moulded roundel with carved figure above (see Notes).

Predominantly 6 over 12 and 6 over 6, timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corbelled gable stacks. Skews, axial ventilators.

INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Largely unaltered. Two staircases with metal balusters and cupolas above. Some decorative plasterwork cornices and timber dado panelling in classrooms.

8 INFIRMARY STREET: 2-storey, L-plan former janitor's house (now private residence, 2007). Coursed, stugged sandstone with contrasting polished ashlar dressings. Base course, moulded string course, cornice. Canted bay window to ground. 4-panel timber entrance door in re-entrant angle to W with fanlight above.Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, coped, wallhead stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: surrounds buildings. To W and S, tall, rubble with canted coping, surmounted by iron railings to S. To E, coped, stugged, coursed. To N (street elevation), ashlar, surmounted by metal railings and with pair of square-plan gatepiers with base course and canted coping stone.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a good, well detailed and little altered, example of an Edinburgh Board School, which retains its former janitor's house, playground and boundary walls. The shouldered window openings to the ground floor and the corbelled stacks are interesting decorative details which add to the visual appeal of the building. Together with the former janitor's house, the school adds significantly to the streetscape of the area. The central roundel includes a relief figure of St Margaret, the patron saint of learning..

After the Education (Scotland) Act of 1872, education became compulsory for 5-13 year olds and the provision of schools across the country increased enormously. Some previous school buildings were able to be used but there were insufficient for the numbers of children that were now required to be educated. The design for the School Board buildings normally followed standard plans based on the education theory of the time and always included separate entrances for girls and boys, and separate playgrounds. Sometimes there were separate staircases for the different sexes as in this case.

Robert Wilson (1834-1901) worked primarily in the Edinburgh area and was the School Board architect and designed schools throughout Edinburgh.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1893-4). John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p188. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk (accessed 17/07/07)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INFIRMARY STREET, SOUTH BRIDGE RESOURCE CENTRE AND 8 INFIRMARY STREET, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 21:29