Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

7-9 (INCLUSIVE NOS) SOUTH BRIDGE AND 9-13 NIDDRY STREETLB29789

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
29/04/1977
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25960 73607
Coordinates
325960, 673607

Description

Circa 1790. 3-storey and attic, 7-bay Classical tenement with altered shops to ground. Ashlar, rubble to rear. Cill course, raised cills to 2nd storey windows. Dentilled entablature. 5 later pedimented dormers.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows, plate glass to ground. Grey slates. Coped gable stacks.

Access to vaults below street level (see South Bridge listing).

Statement of Special Interest

A Group with the South Bridge and Nos 4-13, 19-67 and 87-99 South Bridge and 9 and 10 Hunter Square and 107-108 South Bridge.

This is a good example of a simply detailed, late 18th century Classical tenement building which forms part of the original South Bridge scheme for shops and tenements along the sides of the South Bridge. It is an important part of the streetscape.

In 1753, the South Bridge Act made provision for the building of a bridge to form a link between the North Bridge (see separate listing) and the newly expanding South side of the city. A group of Trustees was set up to oversee the project. These trustees planned to have unified facades down both sides of the bridge and a number of architects, including Robert Adam, put forward suggested plans for these. The Adam scheme was for a grand, fully colonnaded street - this was rejected because of cost. The Edinburgh architect Robert Kay put forward a simpler plan and the Trustees asked that he consult with John Baxter and John Brown, two other Edinburgh architects and builders. The final design, which is thought to be an combination of different designs from these architects, was for a terrace of 3-storey, 7-bay, simple Classical facades, punctuated with pediments. Extra pediments were then added to the corners.

The A Group recognises the importance of the South Bridge and its associated streetscape buildings as being an outstanding and significant scheme in late 18th century town planning.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

John Ainslie, Map of Old and New Town of Edinburgh and Leith with the proposed Docks, 1804. Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p234. A Fraser, The Building of Old College, 1989, pf55.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7-9 (INCLUSIVE NOS) SOUTH BRIDGE AND 9-13 NIDDRY STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 09:28