Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ST LEONARD'S LANE, ST LEONARD'S STATION INCLUDING OUTBUILDING AT GATE AND GATEPIERSLB29731

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1988
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26541 72860
Coordinates
326541, 672860

Description

Built circa 1840.

Railway goods shed and terminus built for Edinburgh and

Dalkeith Railway whose Act was passed 26th May 1826. 3-storey

block; on plan, long shallow and rectangular and at north

curved slightly towards east. Rubble-built, ashlar dressings,

piended slate roof. Pair arched trainshed openings in 2-bay

south end, one now bricked up. Fenestration on west long wall

mostly in 3-bay groupings with single window at ground, hoist

doorways in 4th bays, 4th hoist doorway bay at left

asymmetrically placed. Windows mostly 9-paned with top

hoppers. Tusking at north indicates intention to build

further; brick box over north west corner probably for lift

machinery. Interior with central row of cast-iron columns on

2 lower floors; railway track at south end. Built up to 1 and

a half storeys about half length of east wall, red and white

brick at south end. Detached low gabled range beside entrance

with unusual small slit openings below eaves; big polished

ashlar gatepiers.

Line of railway track evident, to south.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as a mineral railway, to transport coals to Edinburgh;

passenger service began 1832.

Steel beams on cast-iron columns replace timber originals.

References

Bibliography

J Thomas REGIONAL HISTORY OF THE RAILWAYS OF GREAT BRITAIN,

Vol 6, 1971, ch IV (for Edinburgh-Dalkeith Railway)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST LEONARD'S LANE, ST LEONARD'S STATION INCLUDING OUTBUILDING AT GATE AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 15:20