Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

21 AND 22 ST ANDREW SQUARE AND 1-5 (ODD NOS) NORTH ST DAVID STREET WITH RAILINGS, IBM LTDLB29698

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
13/04/1965
Last Date Amended
14/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
28/03/1996
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25528 74181
Coordinates
325528, 674181

Description

John Young, probably after scheme by William Chambers, 1775; alterations at ground, 1845 (No21); alterations at ground by David Bryce, Peddie & Kinnear, 1848 & 1854 (No22); restored and adapted by Covell Matthews Partnership, 1976-80; further modernised McGurn Logan Duncan & Opher, 1992. Formerly 2 identical 3-storey basement and attic classical houses (No 21 flatted later). Coursed sandstone rubble (formerly rendered), with polished ashlar dressings; droved ashlar to North St David Street. Long and short quoins at corner; channelled pilaster strips between blocks; moulded eaves. Moulded architraves and 1st floor cill course to St Andrews Square (original to upper floors).

ST ANDREW SQUARE ELEVATION: each house 4-bay, with broader inner bay (much broader to No 22). No 21 refaced at ground with polished ashlar, Roman Doric triglyph frieze and entablature, steps to corresponding columned porch at centre right bay (with flag pole) with 2-leaf panelled door; architraves continue to base course, framing panelled aprons; panelled door with blind fanlight to right bay. No 22 with similar later architraves and aprons at ground; left bay with fluted Corinthian columned porch with 2-leaf panelled door; elaborate frieze and pediment with carved tympanum; further window to outer left.

NORTH ST DAVID STREET ELEVATION: 5-bay gable with 2-bay wing to left;2 right bays of gable with blind windows, 2 windows in gablehead; partly raised basement of wing to left with early 19th century corniced ashlar shopfront composed of 2 2-bay shops, each with large window and elaborate 2-leaf panelled cast-iron doors; steps down flanked by cast-iron SHOTTS pedestals with urn finials. 2 3-storey basement and and attic former tenement facades step down to N, respectively 5- and 4-bay; corniced doorpiece at centre (centre right); piend-roofed dormers to each bay.

NORTH ST ANDREWS LANE ELEVATION: cleaned rubble gable to right, with irregular fenestration. Modern 5-storey block to left receding at each storey, with ashlar and window bands; vehicular access at ground to courtyard within.

Timber sash and case 12-pane windows. Ashlar coped skews; rebuilt mutual ashlar stacks (rendered between Nos 22/23); grey slates.

INTERIOR: all much altered for office use, but some cornices and detailing survives; 2 N blocks now merely facades for modern offices. No 21 with elegant plate glass inner porch, going directly into front room with fluted Corinthian columned screen and corniced doors with clasping pilasters; compartmented ceiling; similar ceiling in room beyond. At 1st floor front room with panelled dado. Stair occupies right bay at front. No 22 with 19th century stair at centre rear leading to 1st floor only, barleytwist banisters; apsidal-ended room at 2nd floor. Basement to North St David Street (former shops) with remarkable doorcase and cast-iron ranges and chimneypieces.

RAILINGS: cast-iron; spearhead to North St David Street, 19th century balusters to No 21, elaborate to No 22.

Statement of Special Interest

No 21 was formerly a main door flat with separate stair to flat above; the whole is now a single office. Henry Brougham was born here on 19th September 1778, as commemorated by the cartouche on the front elevation. The remarkable shop may have been a Shotts showroom. The houses formed part of the remarkably stylistically consisent N side of St Andrew Square, following the lead of William Chambers at Nos 23-25. A Group with Nos 23-26 St Andrew Square as a significant surviving part of the original fabric of Edinburgh's New Town, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY nos 127,134. Ainslie's Map of 1780. Kirkwood's Map of 1819. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) pp323-4. Valerie Fiddes and Alistair Rowan MR DAVID BRYCE 1803-1876 (1976) p98. C McKean EDINBURGH RIAS Guide (1992) p96. AJ Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp72-92. Dean of Guild plans 1845, 6 March 1848.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 21 AND 22 ST ANDREW SQUARE AND 1-5 (ODD NOS) NORTH ST DAVID STREET WITH RAILINGS, IBM LTD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/06/2022 00:30