There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- see notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24607 73562
- Coordinates: 324607, 673562
John Tait, circa 1830-1840, with later alterations. 3-storey and attic over basement 5-bay Corinthian pilastraded corner pavilion block, terminating SW end of palace-fronted Rutland Street and adjoining numbers 30 and 31 Rutland Square to NW. Droved sandstone ashlar at basement; polished sandstone above; polished dressings. Band course between basement and ground floors; banded cill course at 1st floor; cill course at 2nd floor; string course below dentil cornice; corniced and pilastered 3-bay (single bay to Rutland Street elevation) attic storey at centre. Moulded architraves to openings at ground floor. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
SW (RUTLAND SQUARE) ELEVATION: segmental-arched doorway with replacement timber door and fanlight in bay to left of centre at basement; window in each bay remaining. Consoled and corniced doorpiece at ground floor in bay to centre; deep-set, part-glazed timber panelled door with large, 2-pane rectangular fanlight; window to flanking bays and to all bays upper floors, including 3-bay attic.
SE (RUTLAND STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay, grouped 1-3-1, with central 3 bays slightly advanced. Doorway, altered to form window, in bay to centre at basement; window (blocked) in each bay to left; window in each bay to right. Consoled and corniced doorpiece at ground floor in bay to centre; timber panelled door with geometric fanlight; window to flanking bays and to all bays of upper floors, single bay attic included; windows in bays at left blocked.
NW AND NE ELEVATIONS: obscured by adjacent buildings.
12, 15 and 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof. Tall coped, rendered multi-flue stack to NE wallhead; pilasters flanking dormer to SE acting as stacks; tall cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS: cast-iron spear-headed railings (plain up steps to doors) on ashlar cope to street; cast-iron railing-mounted lamp standard with glass globe to SW (Rutland Square) elevation.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Archibald Elliot planned the Rutland Square and Street scheme in 1819 for James Stuart and it is shown on John Wood's revised edition of the map first published by Thomas Brown in 1820, although at that stage it was still speculative. John Learmonth bought the ground in 1825 and developed it from 1830 to Elliot's plans, his architect, John Tait, adopting the giant Corinthian pilaster motif at the entrance to the square. The arrangement is echoed at 1 Rutland Square and 28 Rutland Street (listed separately) and the scheme remains an important and intact contribution to early 19th century planning in Edinburgh.
J Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1853 OS MAP; 1840 PO Directory map; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379; Charles McKean, EDINBURGH, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (1992), p117; M Glendinning, R MacInnes and A MacKecknie, A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE, (1996), p566.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.