Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 23973 73247
323973, 673247


John Chesser, later 19th century. Pair of 2-storey with basement, 2-bay plain classical houses with piend-roofed canted bays. Polished, coursed, sandstone ashlar, droved at basement. Base course; cill course to 1st floor; recessed panels above lights to canted bay at ground floor; corniced doorpiece comprising abbreviated pilasters flanking margin-framed doorway; dentilled cornice; mutual skew.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: panelled timber door and fanlight, flanked on left by small window, beneath entrance platt to bay to left at basement of each house; light to each face of canted bay at right of each house, all floors; part-glazed and panelled timber entrance doors (to Nos 2 and 3 respectively) with rectangular fanlights to doorpieces at bay to left at ground; single windows above.

2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; coped, rendered gablehead stack at rear with moulded cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.

RAILINGS: ashlar steps and oversailing entrance platt to each house; fleur-de-lys iron railings to platts and, set in coping, to street.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of New Town A-Group. Seemingly the work of John Chesser, although the street as a whole was originally conceived as the southern entrance to Grosvenor and Lansdowne Crescents, the overall scheme of which was devised by Robert Matheson. It is likely that the houses on this side of Rosebery Street were built after Matheson's 12-21 Lansdowne Crescent of 1865. Although a storey lower in height than the other buildings on this side of the street, continuity is maintained by the use of common features, namely, identical doorpieces, recessed panels, and dentilled cornices. Matheson was the Surveyor of Works in Scotland and had purchased the West Coates estate in 1860 as an investment. Chesser was the Superintendent of Works for Heriot's Trust.



OS Map 1877; THE LATE MR ROBERT MATHESON in THE BUILDER March 10, 1877, p250; OBITUARY - MR JOHN CHESSER in THE BUILDER February 20, 1892, p146; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), pp 361, 362, 368, 378.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 AND 3 ROSEBERY CRESCENT, INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/09/2019 22:03