Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

9-17 (inclusive numbers) Randolph Crescent, 1 and 1A Randolph Cliff including railings, EdinburghLB29601

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Last Date Amended
08/08/2018
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24425 73933
Coordinates
324425, 673933

Description

James Gillespie Graham, designed 1822. 3-storey with attic and basement, 26-bay, polished ashlar sandstone classical terrace with concave curved frontage. The building comprises an 18-bay linking terrace flanked by 4-bay end pavilions with Doric pilasters. Ashlar steps and entrance platts over-sailing basement. V-jointed ashlar at the principal floor level. Flagstone basement wells with predominantly timber boarded cellar doors.

Linking terrace (southeast elevation): Panelled timber doors and rectilinear fanlights in every 3rd bay from left at principal floor. Regular fenestration in remaining bays at principal floor and floors above. Architraved windows with cornices at 1st floor. Anthemion and palmette cast-iron window guards at 1st floor except at No 13 which has an iron window guard spanning the bays. Cill course and architraves at 2nd floor. Cornice and blocking course at attic. There are three regularly space gabletted dormerheads breaking eaves at No 13, and piended dormers at Nos 14 and 15.

End pavilion to right: multi-panel glazed timber door and radial semicircular fanlight to No 9. Round-arched windows to principal floor. Windows to outer right at 1st and 2nd floors and attic are blind. Return to southeast elevation becoming 19 Great Stuart Street (see LB28967).

End pavilion to left: Panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight surmounted by semicircular fanlight to No 16. Round-arched windows to principal floor. The door to No 17 Randolph Crescent is centred at the principal floor of the 5-bay southwest elevation (facing Randolph Cliff). It is reached by a stone forestair with a vase balustrade, supported by four ornate scrolled brackets. The entrance to No 1 Randolph Cliff is directly below. To the outer left bay is the entrance to No 1A Randolph Cliff, the doorway having a console and pediment surround.

The terrace has a variety of plate-glass, 6-pane and 15-pane timber sash and case windows, grey slate roofs and cast-iron rainwater goods. The chimney stacks are coped with circular cans: ridge stacks to the central terrace; stacks set in roof pitch to end pavilions.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1998. Evidence of working panelled shutters.

RAILINGS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with decorative balusters and finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group. A significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain.

The Moray Estate was designed for the 10th Earl of Moray (1771-1848). He inherited the 13 acre site from his father, after it was acquired from the Heriot Trust in 1782, and decided to feu the property for development in 1822. The complicated plan, with the crescent, oval and polygon of Randolph Crescent, Ainslie Place and Moray Place respectively, conjoins the New Town with the Second New Town. Building was completed in 1830-31. Charles Baillie, Lord Jerviswood, lived at No 14.

Statutory listing address and listed building record updated, 2018. Previously listed as '9-17 (Inclusive Nos) Randolph Crescent, including railings'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 115106

Ordnance Survey, Town Plan of Edinburgh, south west part (surveyed 1851, published 1852) Edinburgh 1851 - Sheet 28, Scale: 1:1056, 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Youngson A.J. (1966) The Making of Classical Edinburgh. Edinburgh University Press, pp.216, 222.

Gifford J, McWilliam C and Walker D, (1984) The Buildings of Scotland – Edinburgh. London: Yale University Press, p.357.

MacRae, Heritors 38

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9-17 (inclusive numbers) Randolph Crescent, 1 and 1A Randolph Cliff including railings, Edinburgh

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 20:54